Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-10-2011 , 04:16 PM

My computer and MAYA artwork stolen Saturday

Hi Forum,

As Ive only been here a short while, but had some serious interaction with allot of you, I wanted to let you know it will be a little quiet from me for the next few weeks to months.

Saturday, as I was rendering my final sky-room image, I put my coat on and went to my local deli 1 block down the street. I returned 17 minutes later. My computer, both my monitors and my flash drive with all my Maya work to date were gone. The thieves came in through the fire escape window.

I'm heartbroken obviously, and it was a very long weekend. It will take me about two months to save up the funds to replace and upgrade all the equipment. I just wanted to say I'll be back.

Thanks everyone.

Travis

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 24-10-2011 at 04:25 PM.
# 2 24-10-2011 , 04:26 PM
The Nurb Herd
wow, that is terrible news. Good job you are getting a replacement. Shame they can't replace the lost work tho.

# 3 24-10-2011 , 04:28 PM
Lifetime Member
That's terrible I am sorry to hear that you have lost all your work and computer. I back up most of my work online in case of hardware problems but I can imagine how heartbreaking it would be to lose all of my resources.

You might consider using home owners insurance if you have it though the claim may not be worth the cost of premiums going up.

- Jake
# 4 24-10-2011 , 04:41 PM
Administrator
Sorry to hear, what a shame. Especially since you were making stuff all the time and seemed to really enjoy it.

# 5 24-10-2011 , 04:42 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah, some lessons learned. First of all there are terrible people in this world. Second of all, back my work up online as well as on flash drive. Third, have a stand-by computer somewhere in storage in case I ever get ripped off again. Third, alarm system, guard dog and moving to a better area.

The worst part of it for me, aside from losing just everything I owned that meant something to me, and mainly my art and the physical tools to create it, in all honesty, was that I had just done all the final work on my logo room, added "God-Rays" and fog and all this stuff I spent all Friday night through Saturday afternoon learning, just all this work, and never even saw the final render.

I'll be alright. Just wow. It still doesn't even register that someone would do that to another person.

# 6 24-10-2011 , 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
That sucks big time, at least you're not physically hurt. Thing is, they could have been watching your place.

- Genny
# 7 24-10-2011 , 05:18 PM

That sucks big time, at least you're not physically hurt. Thing is, they could have been watching your place.

Scariest part. For it to happen in the time frame it did, they were. It could have been allot worse. I'm lucky I didn't walk in on it while it was happening.

# 8 24-10-2011 , 06:10 PM
Lifetime Member
That's true there is always a silver lining...Sometimes its just hard to see.

- Jake
# 9 24-10-2011 , 06:35 PM
Oh man, thats sad to hear. Sorry for that. Work and hardware is replaceable your health is not user added image ! Glad you´re not hurt!

# 10 24-10-2011 , 07:04 PM
Senior Software Developer
Travis,

I am sorry to hear your woes and wish you all the luck I can so you can get yourself back up and running. Don't stop using the forums, yours and every members input is welcomed and needed.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 11 24-10-2011 , 07:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yikes, that's seriously bad news... really sorry to hear it. I usually have an offsite backup, but I don't think I do at the moment, so it's a good reminder for me to make sure important work is redundant and safe. We'll still be here once you get back up and running...

# 12 24-10-2011 , 07:25 PM

Yikes, that's seriously bad news... really sorry to hear it. I usually have an offsite backup, but I don't think I do at the moment, so it's a good reminder for me to make sure important work is redundant and safe. We'll still be here once you get back up and running...

Thanks S and everyone for your support. I Will be back.

# 13 24-10-2011 , 10:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

thats terrible news....those opportunist bastards!!

As bad as it is to have your things stolen...they are replaceable...you arent. As joverall said, every cloud has a silverlining.

But heads up...save those funds and we'll catch you very soon.....keep posting though.....

best
Jay

# 14 26-10-2011 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
oh geez, that's just cheeky...

I know someone (an artist as well) who got robbed, they stole all his computer equipment. He was watching trademe (NZ equivalent of ebay) and found someone who was trying to sell it (he could tell it was his stuff because it was so customized). so he won the auction and bought the police with him and they nailed the seller. Unfortunately all the data was gone but he had a backup that was about 2 years old...

do you get charged if people get hurt in your house while robbing it?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D