Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-11-2011 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber

Navigation Controls in Maya 2010

Hello Guys-

I am starting up in Maya 2011 and trying to get my head around the navigation controls "Macally" usb type. The Pan do not seem to be working. I do have a 3 button mouse and can't get the command to correspond like the video shows.

I am on a Mac not that that means anything but maybe so. I started out using Maya some years ago and switched to Modo and now back in Maya. I learned my way around Modo and got really good at modeling. Now i need to bring my skills up to par in Maya the same way.

The tools I need are not that many but! finding the tool that translate from what I have learned in Modo is my challenge here. I am using Modo commands in Maya and tripping all over the place.

Anyways about the "Navigation", is there a way around these kinds of issues.

Thanks In Advance,

PenPixels

# 2 09-11-2011 , 12:58 PM
Is your middle mouse button set up as a generic middle mouse button in you mouse control software? Some mouse software come configured to do some other (usually some kind of web scrolling) function.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 09-11-2011 , 01:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi, The settings below work for me on my Mac. I assume you have the standard mighty mouse and not the new touch mouse. PixalZA.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 09-11-2011 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
ctbram-

No it's a scroll wheel with a button on both side of it.

# 5 09-11-2011 , 05:06 PM
Lifetime Member
hi, an apple mouse or generic usb mouse? i stuck my microsoft mouse in and it did not give me the option to assign the scroll wheel to button 3. but it still worked. pixalza.

# 6 09-11-2011 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
PixalZA-

I removed the Mighty Mouse some timer ago due to it not feeling right. Is there a way to get this mouse I have now to do what I need it to do. It work fine inside of Modo.

And this project that I am trying to start would be half way done in Mod but that 's not what they want to see. I am in a bad position right now. I am stuck. Argggggh.

Sorry for my tone but it's frustrating.

Thanks.

# 7 09-11-2011 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber
I'm using an "Ice Mouse" Macally 3 button mouse. again in Modo it work. In Maya only that command is off. I wish there was a way around this.

Thanks.

# 8 09-11-2011 , 05:11 PM
Lifetime Member
i don't think it is an issue with maya. it is more an issue with how the operating system is seeing the mouse.
question. does the scroll wheel also acts as a third button? reason for asking is some scroll wheel mice actually only have 2 buttons and the scroll wheel is, well, just a scroll wheel.

# 9 09-11-2011 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
does the scroll wheel also acts as a third button?

Yes it does, but it also work as a third button as well. As I mentioned earlier. This same mouse work well in Modo. But when i open Maya it does not work.

# 10 09-11-2011 , 05:20 PM
Lifetime Member
there is a workaround if you can't get the scroll to act as middle button. in maya change mouse tracking to "two button". middle mouse button then = alt + cmd + lmb.

# 11 09-11-2011 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
Ok thanks, I will try that. Hey are there any tutorials out there that explain the tool in more depth. like right now I am drawing "Verts" with the "Create Polygon Tool" I get the shape are a cartoon character eye. I press enter to close the shape right. I want to edit the shape to better fit around the eye. The entire thing moves on me and no matter what I do I can not get the verts to move one at a time.

Again are there any tutorials out there that explain the used of tools but go into how to get them to become editable when dealing with Extrusion Style Modeling. I am faster working like this. And what's holding me back with Maya right now is this button and the understanding of the tools and how they work. i do have some tutorials. But the instructors go on and on about everything but the tools and how to operate certain features while editing like what I am having my issues with at the moment.

Again thanks for your help.

# 12 09-11-2011 , 06:11 PM
Lifetime Member
F9 will put you in vert mode. you can then pull the vertices independently. F10 puts you in edge mode. F8 will put you back in object mode.

# 13 09-11-2011 , 07:05 PM
EduSciVis-er
I would go through the maya foundational tutorials that are in the documentation. That will get you up to speed on some of the workflows and tools that are often assumed in third party tutorials.

# 14 09-11-2011 , 08:00 PM
Lifetime Member
The standard installation of Maya places the documentation in the directory /Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/docs/Maya2011/en_US/

# 15 09-11-2011 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Guys For all your help. Also I switch my mouse to a Belkin Mouse and it work, However it is much slower moving across the screen. Lets see if I can find my Mighty Mouse and see it that work. I will look into the documentation.

Thanks again to all of you.