Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-11-2011 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Does Maya Have An "Action Center" Section Hidden Someplace?

Where in Maya do you control it's center or angle placements that follows an edge or direction as we are modeling.user added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 14-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.
# 2 14-11-2011 , 10:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Different language here, but do you mean normals? Try reading up on some Maya documentation on normals and see if that's what you're after.

# 3 15-11-2011 , 02:24 AM
No, he means modo action center for things like falloffs and local vs global scaling. Unfortunately the answer is no. Modo has a very powerful falloff system and will be one of the things I am sure you are going to miss. In fact I often will export bits of models to obj and import them into modo just to use the falloffs and then shuttle them back to maya.

Maya has a very limited fallout / soft select but that is about it. Just in case you have not figured it out yet modo's modeling tools set is nearly ten years beyond Maya's. In that Maya has not really updated it's modeling tool set for almost ten years.

3DS Max has a more comprehensive modeling tool set then Maya and Modo's modeling tools are superior to Max. When it comes to modeling Maya is on the bottom of the totem pole (when comparing modeling tools).

Autodesk and Alias before them site Maya has better Animation and Dynamics and that is where they have invested most of their energy for the last ten years, as far as I have seen. Also, many studios have a metric butt ton of specialized scripts and very deep pockets so they can buy addons like Nex and pay programmers to write modeling scripts. However, even with Nex Maya's modeling tool set is very antiquated.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-11-2011 at 02:35 AM.
# 4 15-11-2011 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber
Ctbram-

That's correct!