Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-11-2011 , 10:52 AM

Preserving Local Pivot Point When Transforming Multiple Objects

So I'm sure this is the dumbest question in the history of maya, but keep in mind I have no formal training. All of my training stems from my knowledge of 3DS max, Autocad, and other Autodesk products.

Say I have an array of 1x1 cubes, 5 cubes wide by 5 cubes high. Whenever I try and grab everything and move it along an axis, they all end up with the same transform points. I want to be able to move a group of objects and have them retain their current spacing. I'm sure this is a tick box I am missing somewhere. But I cannot for the life of me figure this one out.

Would appreciate some help. Thanks!

-Cnotey.

# 2 23-11-2011 , 11:15 AM
The thin red line
When you say move some verts are you snapping them to some thing, if so you need to tick "retain component spacing" in the move tool..........dave

# 3 23-11-2011 , 12:32 PM
Lifetime Member
OK...if I have this right...you are in vertex mode and are picking all of the vertices...NOT the object and they are snapping to the grid. RMB over your geo...see the option "object" click on that then grab your geo and move it. The retain component (or not) I think is mainly for vertices. If you want to snap your verts to a grid or edge you turn that off....When you are in 'object' mode the wireframe will turn green by default.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 24-11-2011 , 05:36 AM
Dave as always you are right on top of things. My retain object spacing checkbox was checked. But I figured out the issue. My move axis was set to world instead of object. This was causing all of my polys to collapse on the same xyz point as the others when I would move them.

Thanks guys!