Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-11-2011 , 11:33 AM
Noober than noob

nCloth cannot be reset.

Normally, if I'd create an nCloth plane and a cube or cylinder, the plane would just drop over the cube or cylinder and take its shape (provided that the cube/cylinder are passive colliders).
Well, for some reason, the plane just stays rigid above the collision object instead of taking its shape. I've tried resetting the settings... didn't work.
Is there any way to fix this? I've tried modifying all the settings in both the Nucleus and the nCloth mesh, nothing happened, the plane remains stiff and at most bounces off the cylinder.

It's not the rigidity setting either, it's got to be something else...

Maybe it's because the plane has just 1 face?

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 27-11-2011 at 12:03 PM.
# 2 27-11-2011 , 04:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, it's because it has 1 face... nCloth still works using the available geo... a low poly mesh will have a low poly sim. A 1 poly mesh will have no sim.

# 3 27-11-2011 , 05:53 PM
Noober than noob

Yes, it's because it has 1 face... nCloth still works using the available geo... a low poly mesh will have a low poly sim. A 1 poly mesh will have no sim.

Yeah, noticed that after making a cube and using smoothing on it. The cube now acts as if its a piece of clothing (more like rubber).
So it seems like the more subdivisions the better the cloth will take shape of the object it interacts with. But probably will take longer for more faces. In this simulation I can even rotate the viewport, but in the other one with clothes it didn't work that easy.

Attached Images
# 4 27-11-2011 , 06:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Think of it this way. The edges of a face are like 'hinges' for the cloth sim. The more the merrier as long as your PC can handle it.

Jay

# 5 27-11-2011 , 07:28 PM
Noober than noob
The clothes I've had on the first prototype for the human char worked good enough, but I tried to move part of the character and it lagged. (though it wasn't moved by bones but through deforming using the rotation of a few selected faces, so that might explain the slow playback).
I still got to figure a few more things about this gadget, such as:
How to stop the clothes from constantly shaking on the character?
and
How to stop the clothes from sticking to each other? (in example a T-shirt was sticking to a Jacket, both shared the Nucleus though).

Last edited by SilverFeather; 27-11-2011 at 07:34 PM.
# 6 27-11-2011 , 07:55 PM
Cache it first then the playback will be fine.

You need my N_cloth tute user added image

Jay

# 7 27-11-2011 , 08:21 PM
Noober than noob

Cache it first then the playback will be fine.

You need my N_cloth tute user added image

Jay

I did cache it back then. It just refused to make the playback any better.
What I did:
Selected facets of like half of the leg of the character, then recorded to the frame bar the rotation (using the manipulator) of the facets forward for the leg.
Created cache for the deformation of the jeans.
Still laggy even with cache. But not the usual nCloth lag. It was one heck of a lag, it went slower than usual, 1 frame per 5 seconds X_X And any other modification such as rotating the entire body of the character worked just fine (1 frame per second), only moving separate faces of the body caused the issue.

I will buy it whenever I get paid, which my boss said at the end of this month.

# 8 27-11-2011 , 08:29 PM
Thats the prob, is the separate faces. You have to do the whole thing.

Also is the has the cloth been skinned to the skeleton prior to adding NCloth??

J

# 9 27-11-2011 , 08:34 PM
Noober than noob

Thats the prob, is the separate faces. You have to do the whole thing.

Also is the has the cloth been skinned to the skeleton prior to adding NCloth??

J

No, I didn't skin anything. Didn't even rig the character then (which I would guess, is a mistake as probably the character was supposed to be rigged before getting clothes on it).
The jacket, T-shirt and jeans were just separate meshes I made from cubes and shaped them after the character's body, then I used mesh>Smooth and then turned them all into nCloth using the same solver (as separate solvers didn't work with just one passive collider, which only had the option to use a single solver and I couldn't turn the body into rigidBody2 and 3 to support different solvers).