Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 24-03-2012 , 09:41 PM
I just saw an official commercial trailer for Lockout starting April 13th in my area. I definitely plan on seeing it Jay!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 32 24-03-2012 , 10:02 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
haha cool!!

I know I worked on it but Im looking forward to seeing it. Whether its good or not I really dont know....fingers crossed eh. Luc Besson does a good job generally on his films so....

J

# 33 24-03-2012 , 11:15 PM
# 34 24-03-2012 , 11:31 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Very cool Jay. Just seeing this now.

Thanks for the insights!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 35 25-03-2012 , 01:01 PM
No worries dude. Stephen St Ledger who is one of the directors on the film is one of the nicest guys. He and the other Director of Lockout, James Mather, were very cool, almost like a good cop bad cop scenario, but both very cool and approachable. I got a bottle of Champagne from James Mather after he decided to redesign one of the fighters at the last minute as it was off to texturing and readying for shots, I had 5 days to do it in. Short time for a hero model. I think it was textured in 2 days. Looked good though.

I forgot to mention in earlier posts...all rendered out in Mental Ray and comped in Nuke X

I'll post the models up once the movie is out.....

Jay

# 36 25-03-2012 , 04:53 PM
Looks like this film will be a fun ride. user added image A pity I have to wait until May to see it. Stupid late Ferman release date *shaking fist in the air* lol

@Jay: I'm also curious how the planet from the space shots was made. Within Vue, Maya or is it a Matt Painting?

# 37 25-03-2012 , 06:05 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

No worries dude. Stephen St Ledger who is one of the directors on the film is one of the nicest guys. He and the other Director of Lockout, James Mather, were very cool, almost like a good cop bad cop scenario, but both very cool and approachable. I got a bottle of Champagne from James Mather after he decided to redesign one of the fighters at the last minute as it was off to texturing and readying for shots, I had 5 days to do it in. Short time for a hero model. I think it was textured in 2 days. Looked good though.

I forgot to mention in earlier posts...all rendered out in Mental Ray and comped in Nuke X

I'll post the models up once the movie is out.....

Jay

Very cool. Good to know your efforts are appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing some shots of the heroes/chars you did. Trying to get my stuff to production standard, so it will be nice to compare the models, especially polycount/flow.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 38 25-03-2012 , 06:32 PM
Mayaniac : Sure once I have them as I said I will post, so you can see how things look.

Black Arrow:it was a matte painting, that was done in Terragen 2 but were then projected for rendering within maya on a bloody huge sphere. If I recall the matte was in 4 pieces, thats how big it was.

Jay

# 39 25-03-2012 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
As the supervisor, did/do you find it difficult to make other modellers re-do work when it wasnt suitable or needed adjusting..or is that really par for the course during such a project?

And did you find yourself in situations where you were saying....i've got these concept images, but what about adding this or that...or making this bit look more like this....i.e, were you able to add your artistic opinion much?

# 40 25-03-2012 , 09:17 PM
Hey Ben

good question. Most of the time the guys were very cool about redoing stuff or adjusting stuff. It is par for the course generally. If the cg supervisor requested a change or whatever he'd always come to me first, then I'd relay the message across to whoever, but if they were busy then I'd do it myself or if it could wait a day or so then the guy responsible for the model could do it. I dont like taking things away from people, its not nice watching someone else redo a bit of a model you've done.

Yeah my cg supervisor was always saying 'make it look cool, follow the concept but add some cool shit to it to make it pop'. We did on several occasions. The story I told earlier about the champagne has a bit more to it than I'd written but now is a good time to tell it.

Initially the space fighter model design had been signed off by Luc Besson and was ready to do in Maya, which I did. But there were a few things in the mix:

1) Two Directors
2) One Concept Artist
3) Me sitting near the office door

Now this is the absolute truth on the whole space fighter model. It was supposed to take around two weeks, it took 6 months on and off (Bear in mind I'd started the ship in November 2010). I built the model, but every day either of the directors would pass by me and say, can you do this, can you add that...so I would do it. Then the following day they'd say no we dont want that do this, so I'd change it again, then one day the concept artist came in and says put a big F******* gun on the front like an apache gunship, so I do another version with a gun. Then I get told no, its not be signed off like this take it off, it went on for ages, back and forth. Anyway we did a version almost like the signed off one and then we all started to complain it looked wrong, because of the back and forth. So in April 2011 my VFX supervisor and CG supervisor came over and said do it similar to the original design and make it look the dogs bollox. So I spent a good week and a weekend doing just that, and what came out was one of the coolest things ever. So they presented it in dailies to the directors and they loved it. However two days later as it went to texturing one of the directors came in and asked for a change LOL. I cant remember specifics here but a it escalated and the following day a new concept design was handed over and I had a week to do a new one LMAO. Then the bottle of champagne scenario.......

The final model in the film is pretty cool, but I still prefer mine and I think a few others did too LOL. I cant say anything bad on the whole experience because I absolutely had a ball on the film and made some bloody good friends for life on it. Every single model has been thru my hands, checked and rechecked before handing over to other depts.

So there you go.

J

# 41 25-03-2012 , 11:11 PM
Cool Jay. It would be cool to be able to see some of the various intermediate models. Do they ever allow any of the intermediate work, even if it's just renders to be shown?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 42 25-03-2012 , 11:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
I was going to ask... can you show both models and we can vote on which is cooler? haha.

# 43 26-03-2012 , 09:10 AM
I only have the final models Im afraid, otherwise I'd gladly post them

Jay

# 44 07-04-2012 , 02:07 PM

First four minutes anyone???

# 45 16-04-2012 , 06:40 PM