Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 19-12-2011 , 10:53 AM

Dango: thanks! still waiting for you to make an entry!

Haha, I know, I am leaving it a bit late... I'm going to try and get on the case today, hopefully will have something to show by the end of the day.

# 17 27-12-2011 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
well i got something done today. hard to do this with christmas being around and all.

But i finally decided to do the cage and the blades.

can't be a fan without something to make wind, although i feel lie the eyes get lost now that the cage is there

and yes, the cage is entirely made of geometry

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 27-12-2011 , 04:05 PM
Cool!

The cage looks great, nice modelling!
If the eyes seem to get a little hidden amongst the cages geometry you could bring them out a bit using colour at the final stage.
I shall look forward to seeing what you do with this guy, he's great so far!

# 19 29-12-2011 , 04:13 AM
Subscriber
I was experimenting a bit with the colour but I decided to add panels to the cage. I don't know if this makes the fan less powerful but they're there now, and even if it does make the fan less powerful it doesn't matter. this guy isn't very good at disguising himself as other transformers user added image

almost all the parts are there now. just need to find where the thumbs go on this guy and add the power cable to his 'belly button'.

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 20 29-12-2011 , 04:06 PM
Lifetime Member
He is looking pretty good. The one thing that I am lost on is the oval on the front of his face what part of a fan is that? It is also very easy to see the intersection of the geometry there. I also noticed that in the fan version that oval is not there when did you add it?

I really like the eyelids they add a lot of character. Keep up the good work this challenge is getting close to being over.

- Jake
# 21 29-12-2011 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
the oval thing is his mouth, but i don't think i've found a clever enough way to do it. i tried having his mouth separate in the place as his eyes but it look's stupid like that. it looks better if the mouth is on the back of the fan.

# 22 29-12-2011 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Very nice model, I really like it. It looks like a very cute character.

Where you have the "belly button" (where the power cable goes) that looks like the mouth to me. The oval shape just above it looks like the nose. This way the robot has a very nice expression on his face.

# 23 30-12-2011 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
it really does look like a mouth, when i didn't have the mouth there it looked even more like a mouth.
but i thought, if i made it the mouth then i wouldn't be able to change the shape to happy or sad because it looks like something that should stay solid.

well.. now i've got the mouth to come out from inside, much like the shoulder joints on the body and arm. Panels go in, robot features come out.

i thought i'd show you guys what he looks like underneath, oh, and now he has an on/off switch and a speed switch... just no labels for them

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chirone; 30-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
# 24 30-12-2011 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
Hey there Chirone, user added image
I am liking the concept and the modeling there.
Cant wait to see the final render.

"From Concept to Completion"
# 25 07-01-2012 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
Hey Rocky! good to see you hanging around!

I think I'm done modelling everything and i haven't bothered to lay out the UVs of anything since I don't see the need to give the bits more than one colour or bump maps or whatever (when was the last time you saw a fan that was more than a few colours?)

I played around with a bump map but decided it really didn't make any sense...

I've changed the materials from blinns, lamberts, and phongs to mental ray materials

now i just need to pose it, make the power cord for the pose and then animate the transform which will probably take forever to render...

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 08-01-2012 , 12:50 AM
EduSciVis-er
Nice, looking forward to the animation.

# 27 08-01-2012 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
thanks stwert!

I gave him a pose, hopefully you all understand what's happening in this image

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 08-01-2012 , 07:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Lol nice user added image

- Jake
# 29 08-01-2012 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
I was going to do an image where he's balancing a detached arm on his foot because it didn't connect properly during his transformation, but then my flatmate told me to make him dance and proceeded to stand on one leg and hold up his palms and shake them up and down. Unfortunately I didn't give the fanbot the articulation in the hands to open his palms up fully so here he is dancing as best he can

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 08-01-2012 , 11:54 AM
The thin red line
That will be fun to see.................dave