Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-12-2011 , 06:48 AM
Acid44

How would you model this area?

I'm modeling a Cobra 427 for work and this one area has had me in a deadlock for 3 days now, must have tried to get it right at least a hundred times now, and just cant seem to get it.

The section I mean is the part that goes back from the bottom "mouth", the circled area in the attached images. It looks like I could just extrude back separately from each opening, but I'm just not having any luck with it. Any chance someone could just draw on a wire flow, for how you'd do it?

If it were high poly, it'd be no problem, but it's a game model, so I can't use any of my normal trickery >_<

Also adding a shot of my current wire in that area.

EDIT: Also, fix those arrow key issues, David, latest build of Opera still has them, didn't want to start a new thread for it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-12-2011 , 07:31 AM
Administrator

EDIT: Also, fix those arrow key issues, David, latest build of Opera still has them, didn't want to start a new thread for it user added image

We aim to annoy everyone that doesn't comply and use chrome user added image

That's a really cool car if I would ever attempt to model a 3D car it would be a cobra or a morgan, you'll have to post up the final thing. And good luck with it, hopefully someone will come along with a solution for you.

Nilla

# 3 10-12-2011 , 07:42 AM
Acid44
Planning to make a thread with a lot of exclamation marks in the title once I get some shots of it in the Alpha of the game user added image

And if you ever decide to model a car, don't do this one. I'm not the best modeler, so it may be a skill thing, but this is like a week in to modeling it and I've got basically nothing done, these curves are a killer D:

# 4 10-12-2011 , 08:56 AM
The thin red line
Acid have you got any better shot, I cannot realy see the area..........dave

# 5 10-12-2011 , 09:01 AM
yeah what dave said. I cannot make out enough of that area to see the shape

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 10-12-2011 , 09:38 AM
Acid44

# 7 10-12-2011 , 09:50 AM
The thin red line
I would extrude up the edge and join to the upper mesh then fill hole, to finish use the cut poly tool to join up the edges (I like this type of modelling).............dave

edit:I add a edge should be in line with the top polys
edit again:get rid of those tris first if you have to add more edge loops so be it

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 10-12-2011 at 10:08 AM.
# 8 10-12-2011 , 10:28 AM
Acid44
Something similar to that worked user added image Just need to clean it up a bit now, and figure out the flat area next to that part (under the headlight). Shouldn't be too hard to do, just a matter of persistence

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 10-12-2011 , 06:09 PM
Administrator
I like your nice paint-over "hate this area" it's very expressive haha. Looks like you've got the right guys in the thread now, I look forward to those nice-looking curves shaping up. And definitely not a project for me, this looks to be more at my level user added image

https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...bhNitn4pkAdvng

Have fun!

# 10 10-12-2011 , 07:35 PM
Technical Director

We aim to annoy everyone that doesn't comply and use chrome user added image

Google has stored enough information on me already thanks user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 11 10-12-2011 , 08:24 PM
Administrator
Personally I find governments a lot scarier; large hat, sunglasses and a fake passport ready for a swift escape seems to be the way to go in the future. The whole world's just going mad really user added image

# 12 10-12-2011 , 09:36 PM
The thin red line
The way I would model it now would be to extrude down from the head light not bover at the moment to connect to the side wait till you are happy with the shape then connect or may be better bring a primative in half a helix with simular geo to what you have then just patch that in...........dave

Edit:dont know why I put helix I ment torus

Last edited by daverave; 11-12-2011 at 08:43 AM.
# 13 11-12-2011 , 04:15 AM
Acid44
That's pretty ambitious, Miss Nova user added image

Thanks, Dave, I'll give that a go once I wake up a bit user added image

We need the old emotes back D:

# 14 11-12-2011 , 11:35 AM
The thin red line
Some thing like this, I was not looking at the ref just done this free hand just to give you the idear, you might want to creat a small torus with less geo for the side light and join the to together..........dave

Edit:The second one I looked at the ref and scaled some of the edges

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 11-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.
# 15 11-12-2011 , 01:50 PM
Acid44
Cool man, thanks a lot. So not used to doing such organic shapes user added image