Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-12-2011 , 07:26 PM

Going snow where

I did the modeling texturing and lighting.

Car model is taken from net.

Critique everything.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-12-2011 , 07:35 PM
Great community
Great job Dushyant! Really like it user added image

Creck

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 3 24-12-2011 , 10:07 PM
Noober than noob

I did the modeling texturing and lighting.

Car model is taken from net.

Critique everything.

Except for the shape the snow took on the hood, which I find a bit too unnatural (I'd expect it to pour a bit over the edges of the hood), the scene looks very realistic.

# 4 04-01-2012 , 05:31 PM
Simply Maya OG
The snow on the car looks fake. It's way too smooth, and doesnt have any snow-like features. It looks like a white slime, honestly.

- Hybrid
# 5 04-01-2012 , 10:53 PM
I actually think the snow looks great. It has good texture on my screen. My opinion of what could make it look better is the edges of the snow. It's too perfect and too solid at the edges.

I looked at some photos and they all seem to have a rough edge. But the edges are not solid either, it's like thinner snow than the rest. Not sure how best to do that though.

I guess to explain a little better is that in your render, there isn't much of a transition between exposed car areas and snow covered areas. It goes from car to solid snow. If you can create an edge that doesn't look like a sudden abrupt change, I think it would help a ton.

I think you did a great job on the scene though. I like the specularity on the snow and the color tone.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 04-01-2012 , 11:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 7 05-01-2012 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
I don't know much about snow or what it looks like on a car, but to me that looks like the snow is icing on a cake...

so... is the car really a giant sized cake? because it it were that'd be pretty damn sweet

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 05-01-2012 , 06:31 PM
Lifetime Member
you could use some dirt and grime on the bottom of the car especially on the bumper, grill, and wheels also the icicles are a bit to white and on the bumper they should hang from the bottom not the top even thought that's where the snow is.

Also the holes in the snow on the windshield are too big, regular shaped, and too many I think that's what throws the scene off the most. Look at the link Jay provided notice how the snow on the top of the car and the hood pile up and the windshield has much less snow but no holes. Usually the snow kinda cracks between the roof and the top of the windshield rather you have that kinda upside down.

Overall I like the scene it looks really nice, you've done a great job. I especially liked to see this since this year since we are really lacking in the snow department here.

- Jake
# 9 06-01-2012 , 01:42 AM
The snow on the windshield is what catches my eye. i agree it looks like icing/frosting. I would say the problem is the snow on the windshield is fairly deep. if its that deep it would cover the whole windshield. If it had a thinner coat on the windshield it would make more sense to have holes/gaps in the snow.