Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-01-2012 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber

Kinect Motion capture

# 2 25-01-2012 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
It ridicules how easy it is to make professionally looking films nowadays, you can set up green screen in your living room, run maya and AE on home computers and now even mocap with kinec.. makes me wonder about the future of the industry..

# 3 25-01-2012 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
this won't really change the industry it will just help people who want to be in the industry get in the industry. As well as probably get more independant companies to spring up. Just like any type of industry the best quality product will prevail. Successful animation studios are succesful because of their product, and they'll continue to do so.

# 4 25-01-2012 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
Have to disagree here. A lot of animation and gaming studios are shutting down now-days, not necessary because they suck but because they get under-bidded on products by other studios who outsource to China or India. Some of the companies are forced to shut down, others just stop the in-house-production and focus on supervising the oversees productions and publishing/distributing. This of course is unavoidable, but few years back North America and Europe had the advantage of technology and skill... Once the technology becomes available, everybody can learn the skill.

# 5 25-01-2012 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
that unfortunately is the result of capitalism, and not something that is just in the animation industry. And i don't know of many big studios who solely outsource their product. I do see in credits overseas branches but there is still a good portion that is left in this country. I think studios are the only places you can see where all the work came from. could you imagine if a pair of Nikes came with a credit role?

# 6 25-01-2012 , 10:24 PM
The Nurb Herd

It ridicules how easy it is to make professionally looking films nowadays, you can set up green screen in your living room, run maya and AE on home computers and now even mocap with kinec.. makes me wonder about the future of the industry..

Are you being serious?

# 7 26-01-2012 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
@honestdom: Yes. I'm not sure which part of the statement you're disagreeing with. The fact that it's easier to make movies nowdays than it was ever before, or the point I made about wondering how will the industry evolve in the future because of that?

EDIT: sorry, I see how you might have misunderstand it; I wasn't talking about this specific clip, just the fact that new technology becomes more and more available.

Last edited by nov2011; 26-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
# 8 26-01-2012 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
while the mocap capabilities of the kinect are impressive on a home use level it still pales in comparison to the capabilities of doing studio mocap. Kinect just cant get that intricate yet.

# 9 26-01-2012 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
@Mamoru: Good to know UK is holding up. It's just frustrating, to hear of so many studios being out of work and others laying people off and next day posting adds looking for interns (unpaid of course) for 8 months long contract for every position you can imagine - from storyboard artists, through modeler, fx artists, animators, etc.

# 10 26-01-2012 , 04:36 AM
Subscriber
LOL i'm not in the UK i'm just an aspiring animator like a lot of us are :p

# 11 26-01-2012 , 08:29 AM
The Nurb Herd

@honestdom: Yes. I'm not sure which part of the statement you're disagreeing with. The fact that it's easier to make movies nowdays than it was ever before, or the point I made about wondering how will the industry evolve in the future because of that?

EDIT: sorry, I see how you might have misunderstand it; I wasn't talking about this specific clip, just the fact that new technology becomes more and more available.

I disagree with all of it. Its pretty insulting to say you can make professional quality movies with a kinect and a copy of AE. saying this crap just exposes you as a complete novice with no experience or idea of what the VFX industry is like.

# 12 26-01-2012 , 09:33 AM
Acid44
So what if he is a complete novice without experience in the industry, is there something so wrong with that?

# 13 26-01-2012 , 10:20 AM
The Nurb Herd
yes, if they are knowingly or otherwise belittling the work of people who are in the industry. The very people who are no doubt helping him/her learn.
at the same time talking as though they have experience and insight about the global situation of VFX. they are suggesting that places are shutting down because of outsourcing to china and india, the truth is more likely that Canada is taking a lot of work due to tax breaks not given in the US.

it just means they are full of shit.

# 14 26-01-2012 , 10:28 AM
Acid44
I don't think anything he said really belittled anyones work, just that there's a lot of outsourcing going on (though I admit I only really glanced through the posts)

Either way, you're being rather harsh IMO, he was just stating his opinion/thoughts/whatever on the subject, no need for such a crackdown

# 15 26-01-2012 , 10:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
so in your opinion saying someone is talking crap is being harsh?