Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2012 , 07:50 PM

Perspective camera & Normal camera-- different rendering results?

I just found out that rendering with perspective camera gives you a different result than using a normal camera(Create > Cameras > Camera). Now my questions are: Why is it like that? How do you change the settings, rendering settings or whatsoever of your current camera so that you get same or custom results? And what is the ideal or what should be the camera for rendering?

# 2 07-02-2012 , 08:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
Normal camera is something other than "a normal camera" if that makes sense. I may have just confused the issue in order to explain that saying normal camera could cause confusion...

anyway, what are the rendering differences? a camera is a camera. you can make any camera in maya.

# 3 07-02-2012 , 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
The default persp has a couple different settings than the camera created through the create menu, like the resolution gate and visibility. You can tweak the camera settings via it's attributes like any other object in Maya, you can even save presets (that little button in the upper right of the attribute editor). If you're rendering with Mental Ray then there are even lenses that can be attached for more effects.

I don't know if there is an "ideal" in terms of settings, I think depends on the scene at hand. However, I try to leave the persp camera for scene setup and create cameras for rendering, that way I can lock them into position and generally not care about the position of my persp camera. I have a HUD button to look through selected objects so repositioning my render camera(s) isn't a pain.

- Genny
# 4 07-02-2012 , 10:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
what she said. user added image

# 5 08-02-2012 , 08:49 PM

Normal camera is something other than "a normal camera" if that makes sense. I may have just confused the issue in order to explain that saying normal camera could cause confusion...

anyway, what are the rendering differences? a camera is a camera. you can make any camera in maya.

As GecT said, your perspective camera has some different settings than the one you create in the Create drop-down menu. Try rendering using the 2 different cameras and see for yourself.

@GecT- Thanks!