Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-02-2012 , 08:50 PM

Natural Lighting Scene

Hello,
I have created this scene in Maya and rendered in mental ray. aside from texturing, it needs work on the lights. I really want to emphasize the light coming in from the window, and illuminating the teddy bear. but i dont want the rest of the room to be dark like it is in the render, and i also want to keep a cartoon style. I just started learning about the lighting, so im not sure what to do. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance
Edward
user added image

# 2 23-02-2012 , 08:56 PM
Adding some light rays might make it look better as it would add emphasis on the connection between the light and the teddybear.

Edit: I would probably start out with subtle light rays. I think if the light rays are too strong, it might distract from the teddybear.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 23-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
# 3 23-02-2012 , 09:09 PM
Technical Director
Regarding light rays, take a look at this post.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 23-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
# 4 23-02-2012 , 10:11 PM
okay, and what do you recommend for the rest of the lighting?
thank you very much

# 5 24-02-2012 , 12:43 AM

okay, and what do you recommend for the rest of the lighting?
thank you very much

portal lights are really good for achieveing a great look for interior environments with natural light coming in from exterior lighting such as physical sun & sky. Should be able to google and find plenty of info on it.

You can also check out Image Based Lighting (IBL) which is really nice as well.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 24-02-2012 , 01:00 PM
The Nurb Herd
some bounce light using final gather.

# 7 25-02-2012 , 05:19 AM
I followed various tutorials but i cant get the rays or the fog. and now i have this problem that my wallpaper is either toned blue or yellow like the first 2 pictures, when it should look like the third picture. (the ceiling is not even supposed to have a colour yet its yellow)
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 8 25-02-2012 , 07:47 AM
Technical Director
Are you using physical sun and sky?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 26-02-2012 , 03:47 AM
I don't usually do this but I went ahead and created a tutorial for what I was thinking. I would have posted it earlier but ended up having to deal with a leaky faucet and then had company come over. I don't plan on leaving the video up permanently cuz I don't want to interfere when any tuturials Simply Maya has which I recommend you checking out anyway. They are much more knowledgeable than I am so check out the tutorials on this site in the training section.

Hope this helps. In the video, I set up phys sun and sky, portal light, and volume for light fog.

Part 1

Light_Fog_Tutorial_Part_1 - YouTube

Part 2

Light_Fog_Tutorial_Part_2 - YouTube

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 27-02-2012 , 03:08 AM
oh wow this is great thank you so much! I will deffinately check this out tomorrow when i really have time. Thank you!

# 11 28-02-2012 , 01:24 AM
Okay here is the result I got following your tutorial. For some reason I am not getting the realistic results you got or any of the fog, i checked and my connections are all good. also the area around the window looks somewhat strange.
thanks
edward
user added image

# 12 28-02-2012 , 02:38 AM
How many lights are in your scene?

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 28-02-2012 , 03:11 AM
only the sun and the area light

# 14 28-02-2012 , 04:21 AM
what version of Maya do you have? I could send you the file that I created and you could render it with your computer. If it renders out like the image you just posted, then something weird is happening for sure. If it renders correctly, then something isn't quite right with your scene setup and you probably just overlooked something by mistake. Or I didn't explain well enough in the video haha. Just let me know if you'd like to try out the scene I made in the tutorial on your computer.

Exceed Expectations!
# 15 28-02-2012 , 04:26 AM
Yes that would be great thank you! I am using 2012 (just updated haha)