Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-03-2012 , 03:12 AM

Problem setting panal views

Hello,

I've had this problem before and I seem to remember it was a common one. I'm running Maya 2011 on a Mac Pro.

On the bottom left panel; I switched the view from FRONT to BACK using the view cube.

But now for some reason the bottom right panel shows the same view as the bottom left. It doesn't matter what I do; I if I change the bottom right panel to RIGHT, the bottom left panel changes to RIGHT also.

Does anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it? Thanks user added image

# 2 09-03-2012 , 06:57 AM
Technical Director
Hey David,

To fix this, simply go to each panel, and choose the camera you want to look through. What you've done, is told the bottom two panels to look through the same camera.

The top left should be top, top right should be perspective, bottom left should be front, and bottom right should be side.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 10-03-2012 , 05:04 AM
Hi and thanks for the answer,

I fixed it by selecting Panels > Orthographic > (front,side,top)

But to understand further what happened; Why did when I used the cube did it link the two bottom panels together? Did it do something it was supposed to do and I just don't understand the software or is it a known glitch?

For the rest of the project I'm working on; I would actually like to have the bottom left panel set to BACK. But I can only do that with the cube. I feel if I do that again it might recreate the same issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by David2011; 10-03-2012 at 05:08 AM.
# 4 10-03-2012 , 05:15 AM
Technical Director
You can do it without the view cube actually.

Simply go to View->Predefined Bookmarks->Back.

The only way I could see your previous problem coming up is that you had two instances of the perspective camera both panels. Therefore when you changed one, the other changed as well. The perspective camera is just that, a camera. So you were essentially looking through the camera in two different places.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 10-03-2012 , 06:58 AM
I didn't know about the Predefined Bookmarks option. I'll use that instead of the cube.

Maybe when I was spinning the cube it "passed by" the SIDE view on the way to the BACK view and it synced up at that moment. Using the Predefined Bookmarks should avoid that happening if that is what did it.

Thanks for helping me past that issue! user added image