Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-03-2012 , 04:23 PM

Rigging Advice Required

Hey there; I'm studying animation at university at the moment and I'm doing rigging for the first time. it took me quite a long time to get over the learning curve, but just when I thought I'd finished I discovered a serious problem. I'm at a loss on how to fix it and my lecturers have no idea what's going on either, but one of them recommended this site to me, so here I am.

user added image

This is the character I'm rigging; a little controller heavy perhaps but it does work for the most part. The problem comes when I try to move the main controller. it translates perfectly well in every direction, but when I rotate it to face different directions strange things seem to happen. (The eyes, arms and eyebrows aren't behaving in these next images, but thats a different problem)

user added image

As you can see, the stomach, beard and everything around the midriff continue to face the same direction. Looking at the skeleton I can see that there are three joints responsible for this that remain stubbornly facing ahead. However, What is strange is that when I rotate the next controller down in the heirarchy, everything works as it should.

user added image

Since this controller is a parent of the main controller then surely it should work fine for both of them?
Strange things happen when the main controller is rotated around other axes as well. (The shoes are misbehaving here too, but thats ok since this isn't a situation they ought to be in)

user added image

Thats quite an extreme angle, but it illustrates my point - if I were to keep going then all the middle controllers collapse together. But again, this deosn't seem to happen if I move any of the other controllers.

user added image

The controllers all remain parallel with one another except in the case of the main controller.

I'm completely stumped! The controllers should be remaining parallel, since they are all parented to the main. Any help you guys can lend me would be greatly appreciated. I've uploaded the offending file for you to take a look at if you wish.

RedBeardDwarfSkinned.mb

I hope this is the right section to post this kind of thread; sorry if I've made any mistakes there.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Morgoth883; 22-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
# 2 08-04-2012 , 10:20 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

wheres the file, the link says not found. I'll gladly have a look at it for you. Also save the file as a .ma please as I dont know what maya version you have and will be easier to open.

cheers
Jay