Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 24-03-2012 , 01:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Where he'd produced or directed ... none. Seen a few on airplanes or DVD. The only ones I've particularly enjoyed though have been The Island, The Rock, Bad Boys and Bad Boys II.

The rest have been pretty much mindless tripe...

Have to agree with you on the Trek reboot though. That was an excellent movie. A lot of that comes down to the fact that the cast were superb and looked believably like a young ToS crew (that and a reasonably good screenplay unlike most of the Star Trek movies)... [and yes, I am a trekkie].

# 17 24-03-2012 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
To be 100% honest - I was a fan at first - "The Island", "Bad Boys", "Armageddon", "The Rock" and even enjoyed for the most part "Pearl Harbor" - Good fun fill blockbusters that were just fun to watch without having to think too much.

Then he started producing more than directing and he did pull out some more good films but this gave him too big a ego. Then he started bouncing around tv channels telling everyone how his films were so great and how great he was because HE was bringing transformers to the big screen (nothing to do with Spielberg or the other produces - no Bay it was all you).

I saw Transformers on day one of release and rented number 2 just to see if it was any better. The story lines are a joke, the SFX kick ass but overall these films are dull.
(I`ll wait till num 3 is on Sky to watch that if I got nothing else to do)

SO TMNT - we are supposed to just except that there are Alien turtles living in space, who know the Earth based form of combat know as Ninja and they come to earth to save us (this sounds like Howard the duck to me - and we all know how well that did). Next he`ll send us a memo telling us there are not teenagers and that would be all 4 parts of the name in the bin. I`m not against the whole space/aliens thing - TMNT has always had them within the show but the "turtles are the aliens" is too big a pill of poop to sallow.

Star trek is a very good point - as I`m in the same boat as you. I have no love for the TV show or the older films, but the reboot as a really good film. But JJ Adams respected the fans - Bays seems to just want to do what Bay wants.

# 18 24-03-2012 , 01:50 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL Jay...who cares really....I dont..I remember my childhood cartoons and now they are dark movies...I really dont give a shit who makes the film. IF..and I mean IF...it is a good romp...well done...to attack any party isnt good sport unless the movie is absolute shit. Films or cartons MUST develop...its as simple as that. If you dont like it....dont watch it.....simple as. What you SHOULD be angst toward is a fillum that is just a money generator. IF said film is such...fair call...we all grow up and the thoughts of one artist (MB) should NOT reflect on your take of it....its ALL made up...every single motion, etc etc MADE up. ITS not real.....its meant to be fun....I think a lot of us forget this.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 24-03-2012 , 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
@ Jay

Lol I don't know, does she look that young? But anyway, after the Transformers 3 debacle, I'll wait. I don't really care who directs a movie, if its about to show whenever we walk in and the trailer was decent then ok.

- Genny
# 20 24-03-2012 , 04:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hahaha Bullet...thats partly my point, if its good then nobody will mind, what he does with it....its just a money making thing with no love in there for characters or story

Gen: Yeah Im sure she is....she's definatley not my old age (43) cough cough.......I was a teen when the first movie was out..... for the record, my Dad worked on it....

But my answer and point being that those who paid (the general public) to see a Michael Bay movie have essentially put him in that position and therefore the good old studio executive has rubbed his hands together and gone 'hey, people actually like this shit and are willing to pay, here Michael have a shitload of cash and see what else you can make'

Those are the people really to blame.

I have no doubt in my mind, that the same people who complain to high hell about it will still go and see it. Again more cash handed over....

Also I was wondering, with all the slagging off this chick does of Bay on the youtube video, I wonder if she'll have a court injunction layed on her for the amount of abuse she dished out against Michael Bay.....the slightest thing in the states and out comes the Lawyer......

Jay

# 21 24-03-2012 , 11:23 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL Jay...if it was in Australia it wouldnt matter bahahahah.

You are dead right about the money thing...if a buck can be made..well it will be made...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 22 25-03-2012 , 02:06 AM
19 year Veteran

If he touches any of them - I`ll hunt him down and chop of his head using some of the piece of crap toys from transformers.

I really didn't have Bay in mind for those other cartoons. I should have made that more clear.

Heres a fact for you. I am by no means a Star Trek fan...I cant stand the series or those movies, but that reboot by J.J Abrams worked wonders and I adore that film...I'm a fan...not a trekkie but am a fan.

Lol, thats trek blasphemy I tell ya, trek blasphemy! May Scotty and Bones role over in their graves. Well Maybe not Scotty. I think his Ashes are in some sort of a box traveling in space or was that Gene Roddenberry?

# 23 25-03-2012 , 02:11 AM
That was Roddenberry that has his ashes sent into space. Or at least someone paid to have them sent but who is to say they ever made it there. There was a guy in CA that was supposedly air depositing remains over the ocean or something and after 30 years they found a warehouse full of all the ashes and apparently almost none were ever dispersed. The guy later hung himself.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 24 25-03-2012 , 02:21 AM
EduSciVis-er
Well this thread is just altogether jolly, isn't it.

# 25 25-03-2012 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
Jenny's around my age (27) and I was a huge turtle fan growing up, I was 5 when the first movie came out. And i did love Abrams star trek, and no i'm not a trekkie but i have seen a lot of it at THAT reboot was very well done IMO. The whole alternate universe thing was completely believable. But this has to do with not necessarily that Bay is a part of the project, but that he is taking an essential part of the background of these characters that we grew up with and know by heart, and saying nope that never happened and I'm doing this because I can. I agree that we should blame the companies giving him ass loads of money as well but it is still his choice in what he is doing. I stand by my OP. F*CK YOU MICHAEL BAY!

# 26 25-03-2012 , 12:46 PM
Stwert: Isnt it!! LMAO

Mamoruk: Shes 27? okay so I wasnt too far out with age. Thats why I think all the whining is arse. She would have been tooooo young to comprehend it properly. Come on lets face it....nobody really remembers that clearly about what they felt as a 5 year old....images maybe...but feelings for a movie. I dont think so.

Its almost like a trend/fashion with everyone trashing Michael Bay movies (not that Im a fan anyway) but you know what Im saying. Just like when the press hang someone out to dry for all to see in a newspaper, it just goes on and on, and becomes boring.

LOL of course its his choice in what he's doing....you arent gonna turn that kind of money down are you -nobody would.

I may end up working on Transformers 4 if Digital Domain take it on again, theres already talk of it in the studio. So I wont be biting the hand that feeds for sure if it comes along LOL

food for thought

Jay

# 27 26-03-2012 , 03:49 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
I felt that the vfx in Transformers 3 is was the worst of the three hope you guys (DD) do a fantastic job on on Transformers 4. Now ill be honest Jay I absolutely loved the TMNT cartoons and games and I will feel a bit enraged if he does the alien thing but I dont think ill be posting it on youtube.

# 28 26-03-2012 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
I remember going to the theater to watch the first one when I was 5 and completely remember how i felt about it. and it's not just the movie but the cartoon series, massive amounts of action figures, and everything. it's something that most of us in my generation grew up with and kept with well into our teens. I guarantee the a lot less people would have a problem with this movie if he wasn't trying to change the back story of the characters. As for the transformers movies I liked teh first and didn't hate the rest.

# 29 26-03-2012 , 09:38 PM
19 year Veteran
Bayformers didn't have any backstory. All you saw was a brief glimps of their past, then it jumped immediately back to car chases and robots fighting. The studio didn't want to spend the money on telling a backstory or a story at that.

# 30 27-03-2012 , 08:23 PM