Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-04-2012 , 10:29 PM

Stuck in Maya 2009

Hi, gang -

I haven't done a software upgrade since installing Maya 2009 Service Pack 1. It now appears that it might not be possible to upgrade from 2009 to a currently useful version (even 2011 or 12). Any advice as to how to upgrade without buying the whole package outright?

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8 with 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB Mem (i.e., I don't think I can even run Maya 2013 on this rig, but would like to at least move to Maya 2012).

Thanks for your help.

Victor

Last edited by VictorVector; 30-04-2012 at 11:14 PM.
# 2 30-04-2012 , 11:44 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 01-05-2012 , 01:05 AM
EduSciVis-er
Eh... 2009 is pretty decent. Don't get ctbram started on the recent Maya versions. Haha. But of course it's entirely up to you.

# 4 01-05-2012 , 12:51 PM
The thin red line
Im running 2009 see no real reason to change up unless I was to get mad into dynamics or animation.............dave

# 5 01-05-2012 , 02:57 PM
There are some nice vector displacement capabilities introduced in 2012 and there were a handful of small modeling enhancements from 2010 and up. However, as Dave points out the majority of development has been poured into animation and dynamics for the last 3 releases.

Also, be advised that 2012 has a very small subset of hardware that it seems to like. My system is getting old, especially my graphics card. This system ran 2009 just fine, but has some very frustrating and annoying problems running 2012.

As soon as I can go grab another $4k from the money tree in my back yard I'll be putting together a new system and hopefully many of the issues I am experiencing will diminish.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.
# 6 02-05-2012 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
Doesn't 2012 make better use of memory?
I have 2013 but have not installed it yet.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 7 02-05-2012 , 06:20 PM

Doesn't 2012 make better use of memory?

That is debatable. I have been having a terrible time with maya 2012/13. My graphics hardware is getting old and some of the instability I have tracked to that, but I still think many of the crashes are memory related. I have been sending the crash dumps in to Autodesk and it seems windows (especially windows 7) has a desktop heap memory issue.

The number of other processes I have running has made a noticeable change in my crash rate. But once again it is a pain to have to kill everything I normally have running just to please Maya 2012, and something I never had to do with Maya 2009! Also, I run other 3D apps and they do not seem to care about my normal background apps.

Maya 2012 seems to really hate nvidia's control panel nview! I have been killing that alone and Maya seems to dump less. Although that seems to slow the paralysis it does not cure it. In the end I have to restart Maya over and over, replace my prefs file which constantly gets corrupted, or reboot the entire system. All of which are just speed bumps to productivity!

Oh and john if you are reading this I found and reported something interesting to Autodesk regarding the Error: Error parsing arguments on startup issue. I turned on report line number and every time it happens, I mean every single time (100%) it is on line number 762! I started seeing the pattern over the last two weeks and thought it was very odd that it is always the exact same line. Not sure what it means but sent Autodesk half a dozen different scene files that all have that problem to see if they can make sense of it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 02-05-2012 at 06:26 PM.
# 8 02-05-2012 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
I'm sorry to hear that you have trouble with maya but I think it makes sense to shut down other resource-hungry programs like internet browsers, chat programs, etc. Maya is very system intense so I think honestly it's silly to think you can run 3 or 4 other intensive problems. Maybe we all need 8 core computers with 16 gigs of RAM, I guess that's the solution.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 9 02-05-2012 , 09:05 PM
user added imageThanks but I kind of know what my machine should be able to run simultaneously. I run programs far more complex and resource intensive then Maya with no issues.

Programs, especially resource intensive ones, should manage resource issues gracefully and not just crash corrupting critical files. Even Maya 2009 on older hardware, and a 32-bit OS handled resources better then I am seeing Maya 2012 on 64-bit windows 7 machine with 24GB of memory. lol

# 10 02-05-2012 , 10:19 PM
Technical Director

Oh and john if you are reading this I found and reported something interesting to Autodesk regarding the Error: Error parsing arguments on startup issue.

I've never had that problem before. (I'm still on 2011) Just saying line 762 isn't going to be helpful though. You need to give them the name of the source file that's erroring as well.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 11 02-05-2012 , 10:58 PM

I've never had that problem before. (I'm still on 2011) Just saying line 762 isn't going to be helpful though. You need to give them the name of the source file that's erroring as well.

You must have missed the last part of the paragraph.....

I started seeing the pattern over the last two weeks and thought it was very odd that it is always the exact same line. Not sure what it means but sent Autodesk half a dozen different scene files that all have that problem to see if they can make sense of it.