Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-05-2012 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
murambi - Thanks for the links it has proved very helpful user added image What was your render time like, and would you mind sharing how you went about creating the grass and settings please.

honestdom - Thank you. I dont know why i didnt look there in the first place!

GecT - Yeh that is a realy helpful tool thanks for the link! One problem I am having is that when painting the geomity thats a mip_binaryproxy, it only works with painting duplicates not instances and thats with 'Preserve input connections checked'. It is also taking a considerable time to render out an image with not that many instances, have i done somthing wrong or am I just being impatient?

Still Not looking great user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 25-05-2012 , 07:23 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Render times weren't that bad just for tests I was ducking under 30secs but for the final it was just about 2min on i7 3960x. if you are just doing render tests then I suggest to change the point density under final gather to 0.1 This will really help with the render times. As for the grass settings there is nothing special just the default settings. I did a quick one just to show you how it works. Dom did a commercial where they used pfx maybe he can elaborate more on this topic.

The type of grass that you are creating should match your back plate. That looks like fall so your grass should match the backplate accordingly.

Last edited by murambi; 25-05-2012 at 07:29 AM.
# 18 25-05-2012 , 07:54 AM
Subscriber
Your 2mins beat my 14mins, and i was rendering on i7-2600K with 8gb Ram. Why such a big difference?
That wont be my final back plate, it was just an hdri i am using for the time being but was thinking of removing it and using maya sun and sky. So when it comes to final comp i will be using a different image.

I am also using cm as my current unit scale, so it is at scale (50cm=500m). Would it be better to create it in meters so the scale is 1:1?

As you can probably tell i have never made a scene like this before, but i have learnt a lot so far, so thanks for your continuing help user added image

# 19 25-05-2012 , 08:34 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

Your 2mins beat my 14mins, and i was rendering on i7-2600K with 8gb Ram. Why such a big difference?

Well we don't exactly have the same scene and have you tried changing the point density. Also under the features tab change from scanline to ray tracing if you havent already. If you are using mental ray then you should use mental ray materials such as the fantastic mia material. They usually tend to render quicker than maya shaders in mental ray.

I am also using cm as my current unit scale, so it is at scale (50cm=500m). Would it be better to create it in meters so the scale is 1:1?

Are you using GI? I only use physical sun and sky when lighting outdoor scenes. So scene size and scale is up to you. Anyone could correct me on this if Im wrong.

As you can probably tell i have never made a scene like this before, but i have learnt a lot so far, so thanks for your continuing help

No problem mate this is one of the most helpful and friendliest 3d websites around.

# 20 25-05-2012 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
So can i plug my layered texture into a mia material or would I have to redo my whole shader network?

# 21 25-05-2012 , 12:14 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

# 22 25-05-2012 , 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Haha thanks for the plug <3. You can use the layered texture, I just loathe working with that node, but you can get the same result either way.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 23 27-05-2012 , 02:36 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey did another quick test to confirm on render times and to just reafirm that point density is the number one culprit that is increasing your render times

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 29-05-2012 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
I have been away over the weekend and have only just got back so haven't had a chance to work on this much lately user added image but will post an update this evening user added image

GecT- Thanks for that. So instead of a layered texture what would you use to texture a piece of terrain..? I have found it relatively easy to use and get the desired result. I wouldn't know how to texture any terrain if it wasn't for that node.

murambi- I will play around with the point density later and hopefully get an increase in my render times!

Do you think it would be worth taking this into mudbox and sculpting the terrain to add more details and then also use mib_binary proxies to render the high res terrain so I can still use the low res in viewport..? hmm lots more experimenting to do user added image

# 25 29-05-2012 , 09:19 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
The terrain looks pretty good to me what I think is failing it is the under lying texture especially around the river bank area. I think you should model some rocks there too because then again the texture will only do so much

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 29-05-2012 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
Right, I added some rocks, not enough of them and they are a little too large but it helps get the idea across and I htink your right it definatley needs some. I have also managed to get my rendertimes down which is great user added image

Just a smal update, as im contemplating starting all the texturing from sractch so i can try and rember everthing i have learnt and improve upon the existing but still using the base terrain.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 30-05-2012 , 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ugh like a dummy I posted a screen shot with my custom version of a mib color mix lol, but yeah I'd use the color mix to layer my textures. I would shuffle on over to Mudbox to sculpt the terrain and paint some base textures and a set of rocks so I could paint those around the bank in Maya. Making a set of odd twigs/ fallen branches would be cool too. Another thing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take that river into Mudbox as well and try to get some ripples that flow with the form instead of being so procedural looking.

- Genny
# 28 30-05-2012 , 06:02 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
The river also needs some sort of transparency

# 29 30-05-2012 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
I thought as i was sculpting my terrain i better check the scale to a human model So I know how large to create the details etc... and now I dont know If i have gone about creating the terrain the right way!

My scale was 50cm=500m so that would work out at 1:1000 so 1m would be 0.1cm whch means my man say of an avaerage height of 1.75m would be 0.175cm (please correct me if im wrong)

So my man now looks incredably small in comparison to the terrain so do i reduce the scale to 50cm=50m (1:100) my man would be 1.75cm See comparison images of both scales.

The only thing is that i wanted a vast feel to the scene so whats the best way of achieving correct scale when modeling terrain/landscape?

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 30-05-2012 , 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Is there a sketch for this, or any kind of plan for the final composition? I've shot myself in the foot a few times jumping into projects with no real direction a few times too many. I say get your terrain details to be correctly proportioned to each other, the guy is the least of your worries, if the grass is too big for the trees or the pebble texture at the river bank then it's not going to matter how your guy is scaled, it just won't look quite right.

- Genny