Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 19-06-2012 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
I would do, but that was a quick Photoshop edit I did on my lunch break at work user added image I Have also taken your advice in an earlier comment about adding smaller pebbles on the river bank and the larger ones more in the middle. Will Post Update later today user added image I still cant figure out how to add a bump map to my texture :S So any help on that would be great

# 47 19-06-2012 , 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

..I still cant figure out how to add a bump map to my texture..

What do you mean, you don't know where to plug the bump map or you don't know how to get a bump map from a particular image?

- Genny
# 48 19-06-2012 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
I dont know how to get a differnt bump for each image in my texture so each image has its own bump and only displays where the colour texture is on the terrain.... If that makes any sense. As at the moment I can only seem to get one bump across the whole texture :S

# 49 19-06-2012 , 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm, looking at your shader network, you could probably mask off the different bump maps like you did with their color map equivalents. A layered texture would probably be less of a headache than all those blend color nodes. Whether a procedural gradient mask will look good enough or if you'll have to extract one from your texture map is another thing.

- Genny
# 50 19-06-2012 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
GecT - I havent looked into this this evening as of yet But i did try previously with the mix node connected to the bump and it didnt seem to work at all. Will stil have to try and sort this out.

Anyways I think my grass my is almost done, with some lovely small flowers. Only thing I think maybe that i need to instance smaller patches of grass because when it is on the corner of a slope I end up with grass flaoting in the air! One other thing that has been causing me problems, the render willrender out fine in a few minuites the first time but when i try and render for the second or third time it seems to hang and Im not sure why...?

Anyways here is for the update!

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 20-06-2012 , 08:49 AM
Lifetime Member
I have render problems too...try to render only the small area you want mate instead of the whole scene...IPR does it too.....though I prefer control over it. Certainly makes you appreciate the work that goes into making a background environment eh?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 52 20-06-2012 , 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
It could be that MR is crashing because all the RAM got eaten up, check your consumption.

- Genny
# 53 20-06-2012 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
bullet1968 - Yeh you realy appreciate it. Its not an easy task, but for my first image made in Maya I dont expect it to look photo real, but aslong as it looks good then I will be happy user added image

GecT - yeh i think you might be right, but shouldnt my memory drop back down after the render as im using 700mb before the render with scene open and almost 4.8gb after the render. shouldnt my memory useage drop back down to about 700mb...?

# 54 20-06-2012 , 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
It could be MR isn't dumping as it should. You might need to look into tweaking your bsp settings.

- Genny
# 55 20-06-2012 , 08:47 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
wow 4.8 gb during render and all you have is grass instanced? what the triangle count for your scene

# 56 20-06-2012 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
GecT - Bsp Setting...? I did do a google but couldnt realy find where these settings are 'hidden' away :s do you mind giving me a push in the right direction?

murambi - After palying around with my scene I think when using spPaint3d to place my grass I had it set as copy rather than instnce as that is the only way it works even with 'preserve input connections' checked. Is there a big difference in memory usage between a copy and instance? But it does work if I export the grass as a mental ray proxi object and then under the mesh tab if i go into mental ray and chose the exported .mi in the render proxy section it does allow instancing but I then have no control over the texture and have to export every time to update the texture on the instance.

# 57 20-06-2012 , 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
BSP settings are in the quality tab under Raytracing>Acceleration. Also it couldn't hurt to run a render diagnostic.

- Genny
# 58 21-06-2012 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks GecT, I have played around with them but still doesnt effect the memory not being dumped issue. Also thanks for the Render Diagnostic tip that helped sort things out a bit for example some 2048 textures on the tiny rocks that wont be seen from up close.

I probably wont up date this for the next couple of days as i have bump maps to paint and if anybody have suggestions on greating thease that would be much appreciated user added image I am also trying to understand some more about mentalray textures so depending on what I learn might update the ground textures. I also need to figure out about isstancing mentalray proxy objects propperly and which is the best way to proxy out of the two ways i know of doing it?

# 59 21-06-2012 , 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Bump maps are pretty easy. Get the image into Photoshop, desaturate, and run a high pass filter. Unless you need to paint specific details then that can give you a great bump map with little to no effort!

When it came to using spPaint3D and proxies, I used the duplicate option instead of instance and just shoved them into a display layer[s] until I needed them. How are you setting up your proxies?

- Genny
# 60 23-06-2012 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
That s how they are set up I have a larger rocks layer, small rocks layer, and grass layer, water layer and flowers layer user added image and all the Proxy objects (grass) are Duplicates, But does that consume more memory than using instances..?