Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-06-2012 , 12:08 AM

Wheel from Poly Cylinder

Hey all,

I am just learning a few things here and there and have a question.

From a poly cylinder, I delete all the inner faces minus the very outer rim, which then leaves a hollow ring.

Is there a tool that can take the edges either from both sides or just one, and seal it up with faces and simultaneously "connect" it to the other side?

I know append sort of works but I havent been able to just do the whole edge at once.

Thanks!

Sean

ps right now I just extruded one side's edge ring and then connected manually with the merge edge tool.

# 2 10-06-2012 , 05:26 AM
Lifetime Member
Double click on the 'rim' edge...this sgould highlight the whole rim the Mesh>Fill Hole

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-06-2012 , 10:58 PM
Believe it or not. I tried that user added image. It's not filling the hole.

# 4 11-06-2012 , 12:35 AM
Lifetime Member
well thats odd

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 11-06-2012 , 08:45 AM
Give me a screen shoot because I am having trouble visualizing what you are doing?

Why not start with a pipe or use a cylinder, as you are, and bridge.

To be honest this entire sentence makes absolutely no sense to me at all....

"From a poly cylinder, I delete all the inner faces minus the very outer rim, which then leaves a hollow ring."

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 11-06-2012 , 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
^ I'm seeing a cylinder with no caps. I second the poly pipe idea.

- Genny
# 7 11-06-2012 , 08:56 AM
I think I figured your sentence out.

Start with a cylinder with subdivision caps set to 2 and then delete the polys at the cent er of the caps, and delete the outer polys, and then bridge the inner edges.

or

You can start with a pipe and delete the outer faces.

The first three image show option 1 and the last two images are for option 2

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 11-06-2012 , 03:43 PM
I'm actually following along from the book "Introducing Autodesk Maya 2012" pg. 157 for the Train wheel. He has us creating a "wheel" from a cylinder, and then delete the front faces except the very outer ring so that it leaves a hollow inside. He then instructs to use the extrude edges towards the back side of the rim to close the inside, but he never actually merges it anywhere in the following paragraphs.

I went around and just merged the edges, but was hoping there was a one-step method or a quicker way of modeling that. If not, merge edges works just fine...just takes a bit of time.

# 9 11-06-2012 , 11:54 PM
what I showed above is a better way to do it and the fastest would be to create a pipe and just delete the outer faces.

As for the book, he may have a reason, he uses extrude and then does not merge although other then to teach bad modeling, I can't imagine what that purpose is.

Doing it the way the book suggests and then bridging (also shown above) is more efficient and closes the geometry.

Although if you leave the back unconnected you can smooth and not have to add support edges. But 'd have to see it in te context of the book to really understand if there is a reason fro why they are doing that way.

# 10 12-06-2012 , 02:32 AM
Lifetime Member
ahhh yes Rick you got it...I was a bit confused...I thought deleting the inner faces for extrusions...my bad

cheers bullet

bullet1968