Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-07-2012 , 12:22 AM

What is the setKeyframe in Maya ASCII

Hello,

I have some animations and save it, but on the next day when I wanted to continue it, some of the animations are missing. Luckily, I saved it as Maya ASCII, but unfortunately I'm quite new in maya and haven't touch MEL or scripting yet. I'm not new to programming though, so I think I can understand quickly.

But the urgent thing is to fix the file now, so I want to trace the ASCII file and figuring out at which point the animations/keyframe are missing (or unloaded). I tried to read it, but cannot find setKeyframe command. Is it translated to different command? If so, what, and usually where? (after what or before what) Btw, this is maya 2013

Googling it didn't help either. I can only found Maya ASCII file organization in 2010, but not 2013 (I cannot find it in user guide). So, any help please? user added image

Thanks

# 2 17-07-2012 , 03:43 AM
Technical Director
Sorry, but it's VERY unlikely that Maya just disabled your animation. The file is either corrupted, or something else happened when you were keying. (This happens quite a bit if you use auto-key)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 17-07-2012 , 04:31 AM
Actually, my problem maybe like this:

https://markj3d.blogspot.com/2011/07/...eferenced.html

I do have a guess that the animations are still inside the .ma. But since I don't know how to read it, I'm at loss. I also don't even know how to use the solution above (I posted a comment asking how).

So, my main question remains, which part in the .ma files, that describe the keyframed animations? (to be more specific, which line?)

# 4 17-07-2012 , 06:46 AM
The Nurb Herd
Did you reference the object you animated?

# 5 17-07-2012 , 02:33 PM
Technical Director
Simply open your file, then the script editor, press control+t and click python. Then, just copy and paste that code in the script editor, select all the text, then press control+enter.

Done.

# 6 18-07-2012 , 02:21 AM

Did you reference the object you animated?

Yup. The last comment at the blog there was mine. I'm unable to run his script. But let it be answered there. What I'm asking here is still about how to read the .ma file, and maybe try to fix it there. Is it possible or just plausible?

# 7 18-07-2012 , 01:09 PM
Technical Director
It's POSSIBLE, but to do it, you would need a very strong background in MEL and the functions that are being called; something that just isn't feasible for someone that is new to the software, and especially one that hasn't touched MEL.

# 8 18-07-2012 , 01:28 PM
The Nurb Herd

But let it be answered there.

whatever...

# Error: line 1: StandardError: file line 7: You must select a CharacterSet to reconnect #

so i guess you don't have a set... I don't really think you have the same issue tbh.

I would suggest that if you have only been using maya for a short time you simply ****ed up, like we all do. but you could be re-doing what you lost instead of trying to get it back. I honestly think you will learn more by doing it again. you will be more familiar with the tools and what you need to do because you have done it once already.
if its just a days work, you should be able to get back to where you were in half that time.