Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-08-2012 , 08:55 PM

Mesh > Cleanup deletes mesh

Hey folks,

Total newb to Maya here. I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer to my problem, so figured I'd give this a shot.

Using Maya 2011 for Mac. I downloaded a boxing glove model (link to dropbox). I want to Reduce it as it's ultra-high-poly and I don't need nearly that resolution. On attempting [Mesh > Reduce], I get "Cannot reduce polygon with non-manifold geometry...please cleanup". On attempting [Mesh > Cleanup]...all but two or three faces (of 15,000+) are deleted user added image

I recognize that this isn't the most well-constructed model, but...surely it's not that bad? I've played with all of the cleanup options, and can't seem to find a setting that doesn't just delete/select the entire glove.

Please help, would be much appreciated.

-macdonaldhall

# 2 11-08-2012 , 09:07 PM
The thin red line
You might not like this but the best thing to do is use the boxing clove as a template to create another clove, all the reduce poly count tools in all the programes I have seen just screw up the mesh...................dave

# 3 12-08-2012 , 09:43 PM
Yay. Seriously, though, is this my only option?

# 4 13-08-2012 , 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
So we're on the same page, is that what you're seeing? If you need to tweak this mesh in any way, you're in for a world of pain. I would like to see an algorithm beastly enough to take this one on and spit out something workable.

I recognize that this isn't the most well-constructed model, but...surely it's not that bad?

Unfortunately, I think it is user added image. It happens. I would go with Dave's advice, use the mesh and make something with a better topology.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 20-08-2012 , 05:33 AM
Yep, I agree with you. Guess it's time to learn how to UV unwrap user added image Thanks for all your advice, guys.