Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-08-2012 , 01:51 PM

3 (I guess) quite basic questions

Hey there! First of all respect to this forum! Already really helped me a lot!
So here's the situation. I'm working on a little scene, where I have some sort of spaceship within a few clouds and in this spaceship there's a guy that's throwing up a little ball that becomes some kind of robo-bird.
So the modelling, rigging and animation is in most parts done but there are some problems.

1. The guy in the spaceship was filmed in front of a greenscreen and keyed out. My Idea was i put him as a imageplane into the scene and animate the bird to this scene. But I just can't figure out how to say mental ray that my scene should be exactly in the size of the image plane, i always have some little room in the left and right that's not belonging to the aperture. I guess I have to do some camera setting, but I don't know how to do that, I've seen exported files from boujou and stuff where it automatically fixes that problem. I have no idea user added image and this leads us to the

2. question. To composite the birds afterwards exactly in his hand I need to render it in two layers (Bird and Background). I've seen that stuff in Max with the object ID's but I don't get it in maya. If I set 2 render Layers and one has just the bird I get the problem, that the bird has no light and no reflections from the background. How can I achieve, that it's exactly the same just without the background?

3. The spaceship itself has a half sphere as roof. On this object I applied the mia_material with the glass_thick preset to start from that on. But when I render the scene it does quite strange stuff. How can I fix this?! https://minus.com/mkQd5Wvyb/

I know it's a lot of shit I'm asking, but it really freaks me out. I wanted to ask for a trainee job in 2 weeks but I'm afraid I can't finish this demo scene user added image Thank you so much and have a wonderful day (and sorry for my ****ed up english). Alex

# 2 27-08-2012 , 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
1. You may have to tweak the `film back` settings for the camera, it also won't hurt to check out its `display options` attributes as well.

2. ObjectID pass

3. Could be lamina faces.

- Genny