Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-09-2012 , 10:34 PM

Removing Lights from render layers

Hi,

I've a few simple render layers set up to capture various shadows in a scene - I have an object lit from two lights in slightly different places, I want to create two layers, each containing the object but only one of the lights. the idea being I can then adjust the shadows independently in photoshop.
Removing objects is simple enough now I've cleaned up the groups, but lights refuse to budge. I've read on another post that a new light being in the default light set can be problematic; my lights are all in the default set... thing is I don't know how to remove them from the set to check.

thanks

Jason

# 2 14-09-2012 , 09:33 AM
The thin red line
Select the light in outliner or scene and hide it, I would play with the lighting setting in maya to get the shadows better..............dave

# 3 14-09-2012 , 11:30 AM
If I hide the light though, it won't show up in any render will it? My aim is to batch render a layered psd with separate geometry, shadows etc. to use in digital and traditional artwork. It's a very graphically stylised look, so I want separate shadow layers I can alter, erase or blend at will over drawings etc.
I don't need a finished render, nor do I want to mess about too much with the light settings - just enough to give acceptable results. I've set up a batch render to output the PSD so I don't have to deal with individual files. The less time I can spend in Maya the better to be honest.

Last edited by se7enhedd; 14-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
# 4 14-09-2012 , 11:53 AM
The thin red line

# 5 14-09-2012 , 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
If the light has a parent that is on the given layer, it won't be removed. You can create a layer override on the light's intensity and kill it though. It's quick and dirty if the scene is simple. However, checking out passes is definitely worth while.

- Genny