Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-10-2012 , 04:37 AM

Waitress Zombie WIP

so this is a current project that I am working on for a contest. the contest is zombies and they kinda want a back story for the character, so there will be a whole scene around her. my zombie is a waitress, who is about to attack some newcomers to the plagued diner.

some things to keep in mind when critiqueing, im not satisfied with her face yet, I modeled her off of a picture that i found online, but im not happy with her facial features yet. mostly the lips area, kinda creepy looking.

the clothing is not done, obviously there are going to be holes and stuff put in, whether modeled or sculpted later, havnt gotten there yet.

question about the shoes, the feet of the model are flat on the ground, so I improvised putting them into the shoes, does it look feasible for her feet to be in them the way they are now?

also, i realize she has no hair, im getting to that as well user added image

thank you for any help you could give.

artistgirlforever

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-10-2012 , 09:17 AM
Senior Animator - Sumo Digital
I'm not sure you've left us much to critique as the areas I was going to suggest need the most attention were the face and the feet user added image

One thing I would say about the feet, if she's a waitress, I can't imagine she'd be wanting to wear high heels. I imagine she would be doing a lot of running around and shoes like that would really hurt!
Flat comfy shoes FTW. Considerations like that also help make a more believable character. There should be no one thing that stands out from her at least nothing that the viewer is distracted by, the character herself should be what is fascinating, everything she is wearing are just elements of the landscape.
The exception to that would be if she is in possession of item that the viewer should be aware of, for the sake of a story arc ... a magical necklace for example, which might be round her neck and glowing!! user added image

As far as the face goes, the mouth looks to be sitting too far down, if you're not already, get some reference material and do some "by eye" measurements. I think, and it's only my opinion, the mouth needs to be closer to the nose.

Generally you have some good stuff going on, great to see she hasn't got an amazingly sexy body, more an "every" woman kind of shape. She looks like she has some back history, maybe a couple of children she's bringing up on her own, works long hard hours to provide for them, only to end up a zombie.
Life sucks user added image

Once you have the broad brush strokes nailed, the devil is in the details.
If you haven't already, I would collect as many reference images of as many waitresses you can. In this day and age with the tools we have available, it's a crime not to user added image
Make a good waitress before you zombify her.

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Cheers.

# 3 12-10-2012 , 10:28 AM
The thin red line
Looking good, I agree with misterjackson about the shoes and mouth could you post some wire shots next time....................dave

# 4 12-10-2012 , 07:56 PM
Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I'll think about adding a necklace and posibbly earings. the hair is still not done, im procrastinating on that user added image other than the hair the clocking is basically done, besides zombiefying her of course.

i made some adjustments to her face, moved her lips up closer to her nose.

the shoes were altered a little bit, they look a little better to me, in all likely hood they propably wont even be seen. of course when i use the later another time they need to be there so thats why im having them as part of the critique.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 13-10-2012 , 08:46 AM
Lifetime Member
not too shabby. I think the shoes are too blocky and the heel isnt thick enough....unless the toonish look is the intent. The cheekbones look a little too ar forward from the sideshot and the jawline appears thin from the front relative to this. The body from what I can tell is well proportioned. Well done so far mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 13-10-2012 , 11:14 PM

zombie waitress

ok so i've been working diligently on my model. i think i have gotten things looking pretty good. i'm going to be sculpting and painting in zbrush so I'll post updates when i get there. first i have the uv unwrap this beast.

head-zombified her cheek and moved the cheeks back a bit.

body- added bites into the base mesh that i can scuplt better in zbrush for detail. also made a "bone" jutting out of her leg that i'll sculpt better i zbrush. i shrunk in parts of her body to give off the appearence that the bones are starting to show beneath the skin.

shoes- i tried to soften them up a bit so hopefully they look better.

so any last minute things i should consider about the model? let me know.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 14-10-2012 , 10:43 AM
The thin red line
I would stick some bones in there.............dave

# 8 14-10-2012 , 01:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Are you doing this all in Maya? and have you seperated the geo? in other words models under models?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 16-10-2012 , 01:04 PM
Technical Director
She looks like she's smiling. Usually you want to make the model in a default pose, then rig it to convey expressions. Her head proportions are also a bit off. The eyes should be half-way down the head. You need to raise the top of the head a bit.

I would also think about splitting up the geometry. It will be much faster, so have the bones as other pieces of geometry. It will be a MUCH more enjoyable process.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 16-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
# 10 22-10-2012 , 10:25 PM
thank you everybody for your critique, yes she is smiling, i havnt changed that pose yet, and normally i would rig the character to create expressions, but this is character for a specific contest so i have limited time, also with seperating the geometry- have a poly limit that i HAVE to stick to in order to be able to enter. i will take everything you have said for consideration, i hope to be able to make her look amazing once i bring her into zbrush to finish her off.

i will post a final workup of her in maya for final critique before i bring her into zbrush, i hope to be able to make some adjustments to her considering your critique.

thanks again.

# 11 25-10-2012 , 08:38 PM

Final Mesh

here is the final mesh of the zombie waitress. i took what some of you said into consideration and broke up the mesh some, added some bones really the only thing i might add at this point is a necklace possible earings. just small detail stuff. let me know what you guys think. this weekend im going to be unwrapping it so i can put it in zbrush.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 28-10-2012 , 05:56 PM
Most waitress's don't wear high heels. If you do keep them, make the heel less pointy.

# 13 28-10-2012 , 11:25 PM
Senior Animator - Sumo Digital
Just a quick observation from me ... there doesn't appear to be anything supporting her right leg? Looks like the lower bones are disconnected from the upper bones. Which would most likely mean should would be unable to stand up. This of course maybe exactly what you're going for user added image

# 14 29-10-2012 , 06:31 AM
misterjackson- hehehe i didnt notice that when i was modeling, i was having too much fun. but i do plan to make her leg looking like its being dragged behind the other leg, typical zombie shuffle hop thing. so it shouldnt look odd in the end. but thanks for the help.