Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-10-2012 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber

1967 Chevelle

Figured I'd start this one here instead of in the firebird thread. How to I get the lines to look better in my render, raytracing? It's mentalray for now. I'm not doing another vehicle until I can get this one to look the way I want..lol. I know I've got an issue on the rear quarter panel, the well line is sticking out. The rear roof needs split or something. I've tried to split it and it just makes it worse.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-10-2012 , 02:43 PM
The thin red line
You have started bunching edges together already try getting the shape first then then add edges later..............dave

# 3 21-10-2012 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber

You have started bunching edges together already try getting the shape first then then add edges later..............dave

Not sure how I ended up with two posts, sorry. Ya, I'm the edge buncher champion I think..lol.

# 4 21-10-2012 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
I removed some edges, can't do much more though.. Now I see the grill is not right..I'm going to post some of my drawings because maya makes me look like I zero artistic abilties..lol. When can I toss the disk in the fireplace..lol.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-10-2012 , 01:51 AM
Lifetime Member
Practice a LOT more LOL....it will not happen overnight. As dave and I have said, you are trying to add detail when its not ready yet. For wire shots use the Vector renderer...less trouble. For the basic shape you dont need clamping edges, just boxes etc. Work on one half of the car at a time. Like I said I dont do cars but I would do the box shape first, then I would cut mt geo up into its components. Then work on the front quarter, dorr etc one by one BUT not billions of edge loops. Much like a human face you need to block it out then start adding a loop here and there to squeeze the shape out. I wouldnt worry about the grill or any of that until the body is right. That can be put in later.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 22-10-2012 , 11:23 AM
Simply Maya OG
Any smoothed pictures?

- Hybrid
# 7 22-10-2012 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
Those wheels staying on there or are they just temp? I know it's your car but don't like them on there, look far too modern and out of place. I'd go with something with a nice deep dish, personally steels but if staying with alloys also go with wider five spokes that taper in the opposite direction and chrome them up.

# 8 22-10-2012 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber

Those wheels staying on there or are they just temp? I know it's your car but don't like them on there, look far too modern and out of place. I'd go with something with a nice deep dish, personally steels but if staying with alloys also go with wider five spokes that taper in the opposite direction and chrome them up.

The wheels are the least of my problems.. And, if I were going to keep them on it would be because it would be a resto-modifaction or resto-mod. Also not a fan of chrome, to flashy for my taste. I like a simple painted look. But again, the rims are the least of my issues..lol.

Art is a jealous mistress.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 9 22-10-2012 , 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Are you following any tuts? Check out the edge flow from some of the models online, lots of wireframe shots around.

- Genny
# 10 22-10-2012 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
No, not following any but I probaly should.. I bought the car modeling tut off of here so tell my two kids to give me time to watch it already..lol

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 11 23-10-2012 , 07:26 AM
Acid44
Hey, Metalartguy's kids, GIVE HIM TIME TO WATCH ;D

Try the tutorial before you jump into anything, even if you only have 10 minutes at a time to work on it, 10 minutes is better than nothing.

# 12 23-10-2012 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Acid..lol. I redid the Chevelle model. Still working on it, I can see an issue on the back quarter where the roof comes down. I keep getting a dimple or what ever the "proper" terminolgy is..lol.

Attached Thumbnails

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 13 23-10-2012 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
Mirrored it but it's still not right yet.

Attached Thumbnails

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 14 23-10-2012 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

Mirrored it but it's still not right yet.

Looks like a ford falcon now..lol.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 15 24-10-2012 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
ok, now hopefully I can watch the tut for a bit.

Attached Thumbnails

--Ralph Waldo Emerson