Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-11-2012 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber

New issues with Texture Mapping

Hi dear Maya professionals,

I reached another point struggling with textures. OMG, this chapter is a never ending story user added image

How can I normalize the side walls in order that I can apply a straight texture, let say some wooden planks.

It's a matter of bad geometry or texturing?

Many thanks in advance for your great support!

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 20-11-2012 , 04:08 PM
Technical Director
Neither. It's a problem with bad UV's. You need to unwrap your model before you can texture it. Automatic mapping will get you started.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 20-11-2012 , 05:24 PM
NextDesign is right !!!

# 4 20-11-2012 , 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
What do your UVs look like? Is that all one piece of geometry?

- Genny
# 5 20-11-2012 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Hi Genny,

What do your UVs look like? Is that all one piece of geometry?

Nope. The three walls are one object and the roof another one.

# 6 20-11-2012 , 07:44 PM
You need to unwrap the model as the others mentioned. Automatic unwrap as ND said should get you 99% of the way there for that model.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 20-11-2012 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Thank you all! I assumed there is no way around unwrapping....

Hopefully sometime in the next few years I will understand this very dark chapter of Maya (Texture mapping,unwrapping etc.)

# 8 21-11-2012 , 02:12 AM
Lifetime Member
I did this quickly so you can see what needs to be done, you will have to learn it someday user added image and it isnt fun LOL.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
# 9 21-11-2012 , 03:08 AM
Technical Director
I actually enjoy doing UV's. I find them relaxing.

# 10 21-11-2012 , 04:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Not everyone likes building a nuclear reactor in the dark through a kehole ND LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 21-11-2012 , 05:42 AM
Technical Director
At least job security isn't an issue.

# 12 21-11-2012 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
Hi Bullet,

I did this quickly so you can see what needs to be done, you will have to learn it someday user added image and it isnt fun LOL.

Cheers bullet

Many thanks for your file and your time spent for this. Unfortunately I can't see the result as two files are missed: Checkeredmap.jpg, Concrete_diffuse.jpg.

In the ZIP file I have just only the Maya file and a Timber_diffuse.jpg as well as a Timber_bump.jpg file.

And yes: it isn't fun but I think that sometimes, putting in a very good music cd in the player and start working is a valuable way of doing stuff we do not like user added image

It would be great if you can post the complete file in order to marvel your work :-)

Thank you in advance.

# 13 21-11-2012 , 08:45 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 14 21-11-2012 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
Hi bullet,

I have been doing stuff I dont like for 45 of my years...music never helped.

Here is the complete, marvel away mate.

Cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/Lecra.zip

Thank you so much. I'm sorry that my hint with the music is not working for you. Sometimes alcohol is helping also user added image but this only on really strong kind of depression. There are some other stuff helping but not recommendable user added image

You maybe know that God, after have seen what kind of mistake he did with Adams rib he makes alcohol and tobacco in order to let forgetuser added image

Cheers

# 15 21-11-2012 , 10:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

I actually enjoy doing UV's. I find them relaxing.

Er I believe I have copyright on this saying John, get your own slogan user added image

As far as uvs are concerned here this is a really straight forward job to correct.

Automapping I would throw out the window right away, its not teaching you anything, except to press a button and hope for the best and then pick fiddle and fart about

What you need to use is the planar mapping tool as it will give you all 3 axis (X Y & Z) in which to project the uvs onto the model. This model is easy so you can select the walls on the x and z axis and planar proj from there and then with the Y Axis project down for the roof. You can also project two walls on the same axis at a time and then just separate the uv shells after, or and select layout from the uv editor poly menu. This will then give you options to unify the uvs and lay them out in scale to one another.

Auto mapping!!!! why I oughta!!!

Jay