Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-11-2012 , 06:27 PM
Chealey

Walking norman around a corner

how would i go about it because atm its long and annoying, my tutors werent sure. atm i'm trying to key each bit of the turn around the corner and then slowly bringing his body round with hip controls etc any tips and tricks i could use to do this, to make it easier or quicker . because its taking an age for just a walk!!user added image

# 2 21-11-2012 , 07:01 PM
EduSciVis-er
Film someone walking around a corner. Play it back frame by frame and take note of the key poses and all the extremes of the motion. Then key each of those points on your rig with stepped interpolation. Make sure those poses are solid. Then set the interpolation to spline or something and start tweaking. There is no fast and easy way to do character animation unless you had a mocap setup at your disposal and the data came out remarkably clean. I don't know if that helps.

# 3 21-11-2012 , 07:10 PM
Chealey
whats stepped interpolation?, and how do i spline it? with the other stuff i might need to record myself, what i meant by quicker was a way that i ll get somewhere with it as ive spent several hrs today and several hrs yesturday making attempts and having to start over.

we ve been animating in class by just posing the keys , and for walks, we did the key poses, passings and the up n downs of the walk, and then moving the rig to the match each step then editing on the graph editor.

# 4 21-11-2012 , 10:11 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 5 22-11-2012 , 01:52 AM
Technical Director
Sorry, but if you don't know what "stepped interpolation" is, you really shouldn't be trying to animate a character right now. Try animating a ball first, then a ball with legs, then one with arms and legs, and keep building from there. You'll only get frustrated if you jump straight into character animation without knowing the principles of animation first.

However, if you must animate a character, this should get you started: https://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/...u/popThru.html

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 22-11-2012 , 09:30 AM
Chealey
its my coursework its not like i chose to jump into character animation and i have a deadline in 2weeks for my sting, ive done ball bounces before just because a term isnt explained to you dosent mean you ve never touched anything in maya before. i will look at the link sent to me though, its probably something we ve done in class but i just didnt know the technical name or something.

also i do know the principles of animation, i'm not failing my animation course or anything so. i just dont always know terms someone else might use for something.

Last edited by chealey; 22-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.