Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 03-01-2013 , 05:08 PM
yep yep just trying to save you head aches down the road. Other packages I have used will let you bore a hole like that and will automatically add the edge in for you but maya will gladly make the whole then send you a nasty-gram when you try to use it. heh

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 17 03-01-2013 , 05:09 PM

You need to add edges to your bevel and make the offset smaller, the left one I had to soften some of the edges, middle is a normal map looks a little wonky, right is a bump map look OK none of these are smoothed............dave

Wow the one on the left looks nicely splitted hehe, maybe it's simple but ugh, you don't want to see how I split them xD

But yeah thanks for the help! I finally understand how I'm supposed to do this user added image

Cheers~

yep yep just trying to save you head aches down the road. Other packages I have used will let you bore a hole like that and will automatically add the edge in for you but maya will gladly make the whole then send you a nasty-gram when you try to use it. heh

Yep I totally noticed.
They should do something about this ;x I mean, those who learn will probably find themselves in really odd situations, I myself thought that I might need to reinstall maya, it seems so bugged out sometimes.

# 18 03-01-2013 , 05:10 PM
There is a bunch of baggage that comes along with booleans in all modeling packages and that is why people tend to avoid them. However, as long as you learn the rules they are very powerful and I like to use them.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 19 03-01-2013 , 05:15 PM

There is a bunch of baggage that comes along with booleans in all modeling packages and that is why people tend to avoid them. However, as long as you learn the rules they are very powerful and I like to use them.

Oh I see.
Yep I looked into the rules and learned a few things user added image
Is there another easy way to make a hole in a mesh like that though? (That also works better when it comes to those weird geometry errors)

# 20 03-01-2013 , 05:59 PM
The thin red line
You can use a cylinder as a template and just cut around with the split polly tool, does take longer...............dave

# 21 03-01-2013 , 09:50 PM

You can use a cylinder as a template and just cut around with the split polly tool, does take longer...............dave

Alright,
Anyhow I continued with my modelling attempt, and it's going really good~
You guys really helped me out user added image

I did want to ask about smoothing though,
in the following picture you can see two models, one smoothed and one isn't (smoothing only by pressing on 3 when the object is selected)
user added image
user added image
But yeah, if you look around the button, you can see that the surface is really bumped and weird, I tried splitting the surface in many ways but nothing seems to solve this, I want the button to still be sharp even when in smooth mode

Last edited by Array; 03-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.
# 22 03-01-2013 , 10:04 PM
The thin red line
If you are going to use smoothing most of the verts need a edge running of them and evan if you are not going to use smooth it good practic to keep to no ngons that is pollys with more than four side...............dave