Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-01-2013 , 07:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Reel 2013

Its been on my site since the end of 2012, but I decided to put it on vimeo...I had to pilfer a bit from youtube so if its crap you know why....enjoy

https://vimeo.com/57274801

Jay

# 2 12-01-2013 , 07:54 PM
SM Tea Boy
Nice mate I always liked that steel gantry thing-a-ma-jig you did for titanic blood and steel

dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 12-01-2013 , 08:05 PM
Thank you Dave..it was a beast to make user added image

best
Jay

# 4 12-01-2013 , 08:15 PM
Noober than noob
Those creatures near the end are what amazed me the most. O.O

# 5 13-01-2013 , 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Sweet reel, I found myself pausing on the wireframe shots of the vehicles. Question for you Jay, DustyKhan brought up a topic of how to determine whether or not part of a model should be a separate piece of geometry or carved into to the main surface. Looking at the vehicles and the way you separated the pieces makes total sense to me and I'd approach it in like fashion. So here is the actual question, do you think it's good idea to approach this issue as if you were assembling this structure in real life? I've seen quite a lot of people try to complete a model by cutting and carving from a single piece of geometry which can easily yield an unmanageable mess. And do you utilize a lot of "duplicate face" operations rather than creating new primitives? I'm going to stop here before this turns into an interview lol.

- Genny
# 6 13-01-2013 , 12:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Superb work Jay. All stuff to be proud of.

Now ... when can we expect the next frame of Outlaws ... (or the movie!!) user added image

# 7 13-01-2013 , 12:48 AM
Silverfeather: Thanks, I concepted the creatures as well as model and texture them.

Gen: Great question. I would honestly say it depends on the model type. Single Organic surfaces are a no brainer and generally lead themselves to being one object, ie: full body characters, creatures etc. Hardsurfaced models can be a combo of either all in one or a single mesh/objects approach. But on saying that, yes, approach it as if it were the real deal in some cases, its easier to control model wise and it can be more convincing as a result for a realistic looking model, to have all the hard edges have nice bevels etc to get that nice ping from the scenes lighting. I wouldnt want to be chasing loops around all day on a single object to get bevelled edges on just one mesh, it would be time consuming and also chasing out pointless loops too wouldnt be too good either just to terminate edges etc.

Do I duplicate faces or create a new primitive?...I do both. and again its purely down to being situation dependant, if things need to fit exactly then its a dupe face or whether an entirely different shape is needed, could be more spherical or cylindrical so whatever is easiest and quickest to produce said piece.

The bike with the huge flywheel was a scanned model from the lifesized model. I had both at hand, but the scan was awful and had holes in on the reflected parts like bolts and chrome and therefore destoyed the rest of the model around it in parts so I was out in the props area alot over a week and a half time frame measuring every individual part of the bike on the gimbal rig so it was bang on when it came to the final model, I even modelled the creases in the seat leather lol. But I'd say 95% of it was composed of separate pieces.

hope that answers that for you user added image

mark_slw: A new page...would love to, there is one half done but I had to stop doing it. A movie you say? I cant say anything Im afraid.

best

Jay

# 8 13-01-2013 , 02:04 AM
Very impressive work Jay. Line Gen, I also enjoyed studying the wire frames.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 9 13-01-2013 , 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Oh I noticed the creases in the seat, I combed it over good and proper lol. And about the new primitive vs dupe face, I should have been more clear. I was curious as to whether you look for suitable faces to dupe regardless if it needs to contour before you consider making a new primitive. Like would you dupe and flatten a face instead of say making a new poly plane. Just wanted to check and see if I was a weirdo haha.

- Genny
# 10 13-01-2013 , 12:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Good reel old boy...nicely done. I will however ask a question....I am with Mark on this one...when the BLOODY hell is the Outlaw page being updated man! (wink). Crikey a mans thirst for the outstanding comic is insatiable.....sigh. LOL I know you are busy mate but its a great read...with sexy women of course...and needs some more to it.....good work mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 13-01-2013 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber
Very impressive work mate. A little shocked at how much of your work i have seen without even knowing it. Well done.

# 12 13-01-2013 , 04:01 PM
The thin red line
Nice work all round like the titanic parts must have been a pain but nice to get it done, the bit that Genny brought up about modelling I think is more down to experiance then any thing else witch makes it hard to pass on to some one new at modelling.............dave

# 13 13-01-2013 , 04:43 PM
Wow lots of replies...will do my best to answer.

Rick: Thanks mate, hahah you're as bad as me...need to see a wire!! need to see a wire! I checked out that link you sent me on skype. Impressive work. The uvs are as I would expect them to be. He had clearly increased the tiling for the u and v so the map repetition was increased to get rid of the stretching, but otherwise all good stuff. He works at MPC, but not sure if its the one here in London or the Vancouver studio.

Gen: hehe no worries, its just down to preference at the end of the day and whats going to be quicker and more efficient for you. Generally once you are in the studio, and as long as the job is done correctly and looks like what it should then the supervisors wont bat an eyelid as to your preffered method of modelling. Its horses for courses user added image

Tweety: Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoyed what you saw mate!!

Dave: Yes the stuff Genny mentioned is pretty much, but as I explained its what will work for you at the end of the day providing the work is done correctly. Yes the Titanic gantry was a challenge. The left and right gantry parts were done once and flipped as you would to mirror it, but the middle part had to be done from scratch pretty much as its quite different. Also I was given bad measurements from the set pieces, the main problem being the ramp walkway, I was given the wrong angle of tilt and therefore it cause the ramp to be too steep and go thru the floor. They were adamant it was correct, but I screwed and told them otherwise, I then gave them the trigonometry measurement to work it out, height over distance and all that to get the angle of the ramp with a length of 15 feet or something to that effect. They did it and erm, I was right!! so....a few issues like that had to be ironed out. There were other probs with it but I wont bore the pants off you. Glad you like the model though, thanks

Jay

# 14 13-01-2013 , 05:16 PM
The thin red line
A quick question Jay were the mountain parts in the John Carter city displacement and what was the size of the textures.............dave

# 15 13-01-2013 , 05:23 PM
Hey Dave, from what I know and saw, it was a bit of good modelling and dis map, but...the main look of it was a 2d projection painting, I saw the guy doing it in look dev, very very cool

Jay