Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-01-2013 , 04:08 PM

CAD into Maya 2012

Hi there,

I'm really struggling... we used to have someone here who could use Maya but he left, so this seems to have fallen at my feet.... eeeeekkkk!

I have a CAD drawing (generated in 3DS) (.dwg & .dxf) and I just can't get it imported into Maya - just freezes.

I've opened it in Illustrator (obviously not much good to me) and exported it to .ai & .eps and can't import that either.

Today got the following suffixes: .fbx and .obj and the same thing.

I have direct connect plugin turned on.

What next, I am lost here. Even if we have to get some other software to get to it and then get it into Maya... Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Sarah

# 2 14-02-2013 , 04:54 AM
Subscriber
any .obj should be accepted into Maya.
If you had another 3d program like Max you could open the .obj in there and re-save as .obj and then try again in Maya. Sometimes the file is write protected or needs to re-saved

I've noticed there is a difference between just

1. double clicking on the .obj file and Maya defaults to opens it
2. having Maya open and Opening the .obj
3. having Maya open and Importing the .obj

Try those and see if anything changes

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 3 14-02-2013 , 10:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Does Maya actually 'freeze' or you cant see the model? Dont forget CAD programs usually work in metres to start with and world co ords might NOT be 0,0,0. IF Maya isnt freezing...then go to the outliner and see if its in there..if so..click on it then frame it. (F) key. It may also have something to do with what n88tr is saying or it has so many verts Maya does not like it.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 14-02-2013 , 03:18 PM
obj was created by alias wavefront (the original creators of maya) therefore maya should read obj in theory.

I have found though that many other developers do not always adhere to the obj standard and maya is VERY strict on its implementation.

both n88tr and bullets suggestions are good.

I'd try this....

- import into 3ds (if you have it) and then re-export to obj.

- after import look in the outliner and if there is something there select it and press the f-key to frame up on it. As bullet says it may just be too large or too small to be visible with the default units.

- if you can convert to fbx then maya also has an fbx importer and you should be able to see it in that format as well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 19-06-2013 , 07:55 PM
Hello

Does anyone know how to export a maya file as a DWG file?