Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-02-2013 , 07:36 PM
Acid44

Thinking of modeling the Cockamouse

We should have an idea section for things like this.

I'm thinking of modeling the "Cockamouse" from How I Met Your Mother, but not exactly sure how to go about it, it has pretty specifically outlined details, which would make it easier, but it's organic, which I've never done, and with the details they list, I don't think it'd support the mouse parts/size.

Here's a video which shows some of the characteristics, the rest are listed throughout the episode: Mutant mouse ( How I met your mother ) - YouTube

- Head of a mouse
- Body of a cockroach
- Tail of a mouse
- Approximate size of a potato
- Exoskeleton
- Grey/brown fur
- 6 cockroach legs
- Antennae
- Fangs
- Wings large enough to support flight

The fact that it has wings makes me think that it would be better based on a stag beetle, which would also account for the size, as some species reach up to 12cm in length, and can be pretty wide, while the largest cockroach (Madagascar hissing thing), only reaches 6-8cm in length and is fairly narrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagas...sing_cockroach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

And in case you don't know much about mice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse

Any thoughts on how to go about this? Or ideas on merging a mouse and stag beetle anatomy? Or thoughts on cockroach vs stag beetle?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-02-2013 , 11:21 AM
Noober than noob
Now there's an interesting project.

# 3 13-02-2013 , 04:38 AM
Acid44
I thought so. Having trouble visualizing things, though. I suck at Photoshop (no Wacom) so I can't really draw a concept, but Joopson found this for me:

user added image

I think I'll use that as a base reference, since it's pretty close to what I have in mind, and then I can make the changes to make it unique. I just need to figure out how to photoshop a side/top view of the basic shape now, since I've never been able to work without blueprints...

I guess this should be moved to teh WIP section if a mod feels like doing so, I'm starting to think I may actually do it.

# 4 13-02-2013 , 11:02 AM
Noober than noob
LOL! That looks strangely cute. O.o

# 5 13-02-2013 , 06:16 PM
Acid44
It's the eyes. Thanks to Pixar, anything with gigantic eyes looks cute, like Japanese girls user added image

# 6 15-02-2013 , 08:19 PM
Noober than noob

It's the eyes. Thanks to Pixar, anything with gigantic eyes looks cute, like Japanese girls user added image

Well, not really (except for when it's done properly). At least not to me. But furry + big eyes, yep, that's cute to me.
Another critter with big eyes that I like... Puss In Boots.
user added image
user added image

# 7 15-02-2013 , 11:45 PM
Acid44
Looks like Richard Hammond user added image