Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-02-2013 , 07:18 PM

Game venture?

If someone has an idea for a game let's say but not the resources do get it acomplished i.e. various program knowledge, can he/she hire a production company (not sure on exactly the type of company) to do the work for them? I could only imagine how much that would be.. The only other option is to what, hire a team so to speak. The team idea doesn't sound good to me if the person funding the project wants the game worked on a full time basis though. Plus, youre looking at modelers, animators, texture artists, storyboarders, and a slew of others so why not hire a company, right?

With a decent idea at least, would 100k (and I throw that number out as a refrence) be enough to possibly get something like this accomplished, some sort of game? I know there are all sorts of variables I left out (platforms, quality, etc.) but just throwing . Thanks.

And I know how much work (to a point) goes into a game and the expirenced people that it would take to do something like this and neither or can be done "cheaply".

Last edited by cj74; 24-02-2013 at 08:10 PM.
# 2 01-03-2013 , 05:17 PM
Acid44
Yeh, hiring a company to do it is always an option. I semi-work with/for a company that does this sort of thing (racing simulators). $100k is a very small amount though, depending on the idea. A 200,000EUR offer was just tossed by my bossguy because it was too much work, and it was to be based on a current sim's engine, rather than using it's own. I couldn't imagine what he'd charge to have a full game done from the ground up.

Like you said though, there are tons of variables. And tons of teams who live on work like this, so depending on where you go $100k could either get you laughed at, or get a somewhat decent job done.

# 3 05-03-2013 , 02:22 AM

Yeh, hiring a company to do it is always an option. I semi-work with/for a company that does this sort of thing (racing simulators). $100k is a very small amount though, depending on the idea. A 200,000EUR offer was just tossed by my bossguy because it was too much work, and it was to be based on a current sim's engine, rather than using it's own. I couldn't imagine what he'd charge to have a full game done from the ground up.

Like you said though, there are tons of variables. And tons of teams who live on work like this, so depending on where you go $100k could either get you laughed at, or get a somewhat decent job done.

Thanks Acid.. I'm still considering it but my budget isn't enough for the type of game I'd like to see made. But, like you said 100k (u.s.) won't make the type of game that's in my head..lol. Oh well, thanks for the answer.

# 4 05-03-2013 , 05:32 AM
Acid44
No problem. Yeh, $100k is a small amount of money in games, but depending on the idea you have, you could most likely do it as a mod for a current game with some like-minded folk for next to nothing