Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-03-2013 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber

Need a hint with this object

Hi all,

I really need a hint modeling this object. I tried this with different objects, cylinder, pipe, curves, loft etc. but it ends up in a mess geometry!

Any great idea how i can solve this part of the sofa?

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 13-03-2013 , 09:02 AM
The thin red line
Here is how to do the side of the sofa, just use a quarter of a cylinder then extrude and add bevel. When I get another 5 min I will do the other part....................dave

Edit:I did the extrude quickly I would tweek the mesh around the corners manualy so they did not pinch but I will leave that up to youuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 13-03-2013 at 09:31 AM.
# 3 13-03-2013 , 05:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Is it me or is the room weird? the floor at the back doesnt look right? Daves way is quick, you could use a cube too.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 13-03-2013 , 10:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think the trick is that there is a backside to the arm... so it would be slightly tricky to pull down from an extruded arc. You could start with a cube and extrude in the center and bottom to keep the back present.

# 5 13-03-2013 , 10:58 PM
The thin red line

I think the trick is that there is a backside to the arm... so it would be slightly tricky to pull down from an extruded arc. You could start with a cube and extrude in the center and bottom to keep the back present.

Could you show us what you mean Swertuser added image

# 6 14-03-2013 , 12:33 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, sorry, I didn't have much time... here's some images.
Create the cube with the proper divisions
Extrude faces inward
Delete the floor and do a bit of cleanup with merging edges and split poly
Bevel the corners... at which point more cleanup is necessary, but it's a start.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 14-03-2013 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
Thank you guy!

Stwert has exactly seen the problem! Congrats! :-) The issue I had was not the object itself but the backside to the arm. This was creating some distortion in my geometry! I will try now to follow Stwert example and smoth finally the object and see what happens. I will report back with an image what I did.

Thank you all for your dedication in answering my post and supporting me! Much appreciated people.

KR; Lecra

# 8 14-03-2013 , 01:44 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'm just thinking it would be much simpler to start with a thinner cube with rounded corners and then extrude the U shape outward instead of extruding the center in.

# 9 14-03-2013 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
Stwert,

Indeed, this would be easier, the only problem i have is now placing the right edge loops in order to be able to smooth the object maintaining the original shape and not destroying the geometry!
KR; Lecra

# 10 14-03-2013 , 05:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok awoken and its midnight....got bored and trying to get back to sleep LOL. Here Lecra...its a quick one but I used stwerts moves

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 16-03-2013 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Hey bullet1968,

Wonderfull!! What kind of shader have you taken? A phong or blinn? I suppose this is a simple color and not a texture, right?

KR; Lecra

# 12 17-03-2013 , 01:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate, Its a mia material x mate with the colour taken from your image and tweaked. It also has a leather pattern for a bump...I didnt have much time to play with it...LOL it was midnight.

cheers bullet

bullet1968