Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-03-2013 , 05:00 PM
Noober than noob

I forgot how to control raytraced shadows' transparency

Can someone tell me how to get the raytraced shadows to look more transparent, please?
I remember that on a project with the solar system, I used some settings for an object, so that I could control how (in example) a planet's ring's shadow would shade the planet, all the way to the point of making the shadow fully transparent.
I think it was under Raytrace of the object's attributes, but now I cannot seem to find anything related to the shadows for what I am working on.
Light used: Spotlight.
Problem: shadows are thick-black.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-03-2013 , 05:31 PM
The thin red line
It will be in the light settings, increase the the light radious and light rays.............dave

# 3 14-03-2013 , 05:35 PM
Hi,

I'd recommend adding a fill light so you don't get any solid shadows,

gubar

# 4 14-03-2013 , 05:50 PM
Noober than noob

It will be in the light settings, increase the the light radious and light rays.............dave

Thanks, I've also found a vid about that.

Hi,

I'd recommend adding a fill light so you don't get any solid shadows,

gubar

A fill light? Like a 2nd light with what settings? (I'd get 2 shadows then, I only need 1, unless you are suggesting that I should add a non-shadow light or a lower shadow light on the exact same spot as the 1st one).

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 14-03-2013 , 06:06 PM
The thin red line

# 6 14-03-2013 , 06:18 PM
not at all Dave it's all to help, here's another:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

Adding a fill light is quite normal. A simple google search would have revealed that. Try a very soft light so that shadows are minimal. The link will explain in more detail. How do you think they get rid of hard shadows on movie sets? user added image With a fill light/s.

Edit:

By soft, I mean large enough that its shadows are not very noticeable. Also, bring it quite close to the camera, then try moving it around a bit, so that it fills in dark shadows cast by the key, but doesn't cast strong shadows of its own (and also so that it doesn't flatten the image out too much).

I tend to avoid non-shadow casting lights but whatever works for you.

Last edited by gubar; 14-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
# 7 14-03-2013 , 06:51 PM
Noober than noob
Thank you both for explaining.
So in this case, what would need filling for example?
The goal is to have a dim light hitting this clock. For some reason, the clock hands do not show shadows again...

Attached Images
# 8 14-03-2013 , 07:04 PM
I'd get your shadows working first. Once you've decided where you want your key light, place the fill based on its position. Experiment a little, bearing In mind that you want the fill to add a little light to the darkest parts of the object, especially where the key is casting strong shadows. The Wikipedia link explains the principal quite well. I think there is also a3 point lighting tutorial on this site.

# 9 14-03-2013 , 07:22 PM
Noober than noob
I've added a 2nd light (no shadows) to shine on the case of the clock. Key light is right where I want it as well. It looks close to how I want it now.

The thing I am not really sure of is whether I should add more shine to the materials (gold and copper) or not. They don't look quite metallic enough, but I do not want more reflection either. What could I do to make them look closer to copper and gold?

Attached Images
# 10 14-03-2013 , 07:28 PM
The thin red line
Are you using a mia material preset copper...............dave

# 11 14-03-2013 , 07:47 PM
Noober than noob

Are you using a mia material preset copper...............dave

No, it's a Blinn.
Is that preset closer to copper? (will have to check if it exists)
Currently, I think this lighting suits it best for how I want it to be.
Just not sure if the material looks good, it makes me think of plastic instead of metal.

EDIT: Nope, and I have no idea how to use mia material anyway (it doesn't render out).
Can't I just use the Blinn? But most examples of copper don't quite look the way I want either...

Hmm, maybe like this... But I think it needs more red in the specular.

3rd one is closest to what I want...

I think this is it. I might be satisfied with the 4th.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 14-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
# 12 14-03-2013 , 09:31 PM
Having Fun!!!!
There is a good free tut here that explains three-point lighting so you can understand how to set up a key, fill and back light. Look for it on the free tutorials.

# 13 14-03-2013 , 10:36 PM
Noober than noob

There is a good free tut here that explains three-point lighting so you can understand how to set up a key, fill and back light. Look for it on the free tutorials.

I am not looking for a back light though, I just need to light several parts of the metal case so that it looks shinier but not plastic.
So far I have 3 lights, all set to show the gold rim better and one of them makes the shadows.

Attached Images
# 14 14-03-2013 , 10:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you want something to look really metallic, it's generally necessary to have an environment or something for it to reflect, otherwise it will be reflecting just black space, which is not super realistic.

# 15 14-03-2013 , 11:11 PM
Noober than noob

If you want something to look really metallic, it's generally necessary to have an environment or something for it to reflect, otherwise it will be reflecting just black space, which is not super realistic.

Good point, I've noticed it looks more realistic in the areas where it has some stuff to reflect (the copper against the gold for example) and then it looks plastic in areas where there's both no light and no reflect stuff.
Could I add a black sphere or something around it so that it will reflect a black object? I want the material to look something like this:
user added image