Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 09-05-2013 , 09:04 PM

modeling a simple cup

Say you have a cube shaped cup with the cube shaped hole.

Let's say you wanted to shrink the width of the rim on a single side. You select the inner face on that side and extrude it outward. Unfortunately the top of the rim does not move so you are left with a rim of zero height hanging over the inner edge of the cup. How would you solve this so that the top rim moves too as you push the side of the cup outward?

# 2 09-05-2013 , 09:33 PM
The thin red line
I think you need to select the faces then use the scale tool, if you want to scale out in say x and z hold the ctrl button then scale in the y axis...............dave

# 3 10-05-2013 , 02:30 AM
huh? ... "extrude it outward"?

If the goal is to make the rim "thinner" just grab the inner edge and translate it towards the outer edge.

No need to "extrude" or to "scale". But I am sure I am misintrpreting what you are trying to do.

1. create a cube
2. select the top face
3. extrude the face evenly in the xz plane
4. extrude the same face in negative y

you now have a square vessel

5. select an inner edge at the "rim" and translate it in the xz plane towards the outer edge and bingo you've thinned the rim on one side.

or alternatively select the inner face and just translate the face and the entire side of the cup will be thinner on that side.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-05-2013 at 05:35 AM.