Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-06-2013 , 11:22 PM

cutting a polygon in half

is there any way to cut a polygon in half without having to do the tedious task of cutting faces in the plolygon and then separating it?

Thanks

# 2 12-06-2013 , 01:08 AM
EduSciVis-er
Not sure what you're asking. It sounds like you want to cut a polygon without cutting it? Do you need multiple faces cut? If it's all quads, you could triangulate the mesh and then they would all be in half. Or you can use the split poly tool which does a good job. Or you can use the cut faces tool. Or you could use insert edge loop.
Can you post a simple drawing or screenshot of exactly the scenario you need?

# 3 13-06-2013 , 04:57 PM
for example say that i want to cut the polygon in half along the dotted line using the fastest method...
thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by brop52; 13-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.
# 4 13-06-2013 , 08:25 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I would use insert edge loop tool and add a loop there, then select the have you want to delete and delete it.

# 5 13-06-2013 , 09:22 PM
Having Fun!!!!
The fastest way is the cut faces tool but it can give you more problems later on. It can be your friend and your enemy at the same time depending on how many polygons you have on your mesh, try it out.

Last edited by Juanpax; 13-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.