Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-10-2013 , 11:43 PM
Lifetime Member

Problem with Moving UVs

Hi All, I'm having a little problem with UVs that keep moving and scaling after I've UV'd them.

As you can see from the two pics, I took a UV snapshot of my objects all set out nicely then when I selected them later some of them had moved and scaled themselves. I don't think that I touched them since I took the snapshot. Any idea what's going on?

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 2 21-10-2013 , 12:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Okay, an update. It happens when I hit the three key to smooth my mesh. But Maya won't let me undo that move?

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 21-10-2013 , 12:45 AM
EduSciVis-er
Smooth mesh preview doesn't exist in the undo stack. Check under the shape node of your object for the Smooth Mesh tab. Does it look like this?

Attached Images
# 4 21-10-2013 , 12:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Yes it does look like that, I think the problem was to do with an error in the objects history. I ended up deleting the object and mirroring it and going through the process of copying the UVs across again and this time it all worked smoothly.

Seems UVs hate history on objects so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 21-10-2013 , 09:26 PM
Lifetime Member

Complications, complications, complications

Okay, a complication to this issue. I was laying out engine pieces this time and exactly the same thing happened to me when I hit the three key after I had finished and taken a UV snapshot.

However this time I had absolutely no history on any of the objects! So I was really annoyed and just messing around in the UV editor and came across the layout function. I thought that I'd give it a go as I had nothing to lose, it sort of crammed everything together and didn't look that good so I hit CTRL+Z and whammo my UVs are back to how I originally laid them out!?! Unfortunately as soon as I hit the three key they all mess up again. What is the secret????

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.