Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-11-2013 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber

Any idea how to model this?

Hi all,

anybody that has an idea on how to build up such a snail like in the picture attached? This should be a polygonal object at the end.

Any idea is very welcome. Thanks in advance for your hints user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by lecra; 19-11-2013 at 08:04 PM.
# 2 19-11-2013 , 09:40 PM
The thin red line
You could extrude along a helix curve, then play with the extrude settings to shrink in at the top.............dave

# 3 25-11-2013 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber

You could extrude along a helix curve, then play with the extrude settings to shrink in at the top.............dave

Daverave, that would be an idea. I will give them a try.

People, any other hints?

# 4 26-11-2013 , 11:45 AM

howto video

I put a short video together showing one approach to creating the tapered auger shape.

I do these videos as it's easier to record myself working things out on the fly rather then try to type instructions.

As always there are many ways to achieve the same result in maya. I explored several ways of doing this before settling on this method. I hope it helps you out.

howto create a tapered auger shape - YouTube

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
# 5 30-11-2013 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
Hi ctbram,

Many, many thanks for your help and your tutorial!! It's really appreciated and I love that way to explain things! It is a wonderful way to create this piece of a snail which is needed for an farming machine for mixing cow food.
Thank you again.

# 6 30-11-2013 , 05:40 PM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-11-2013 at 05:59 PM.
# 7 02-12-2013 , 08:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Lecra.

Here is another approach to model that shape with a bit of post creation control using deformers.

ctbram,

Many thanks in showing me another approach! This is a wonderful one, easier and the advantege of this, is really that an adjustment after modeling can be made.

Your support in this matter is really very appreciated.

# 8 02-12-2013 , 03:21 PM
Thank you. I am glad they were helpful. There are so many ways to achieve the same result in Maya and I enjoy working out some of these modeling puzzles.

I just wish I had the time to make them a bit more polished and concise.

But to do that I'd have to take time to think them out and make practice runs which would take a great deal of time.

It's easier to just record me myself working through a solution rather then try to describe a workflow from start to finish.

-Rick

# 9 02-12-2013 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
As I said, I love it. A short tutorial has a higher added value for me as a written tutorial. I see exactly which steps you are doing and there is no hidden commands, except if you are using some hot keys without comment it :-)

Many thanks again for your support.