Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-12-2013 , 09:22 PM

No common edges selected in the UV Editor

Hi,

Currently going through a hellish time uv mapping a model I'm working on and I'm stuck.. Basically my workflow is I highlight the faces, extract them from the main body, project upon them and spread them in the uv editor. After that, I'm trying to sew the common edges back together but not a single corresponding one seems to be selected after me highlighting an edge in the uv editor. First I thought the reason was them now being separate objects after being extracted but the mystery continues even after I combine them into a single object. What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm making a dumb mistake but cannot figure it out for the life of me. Any direction or thought is much appreciated.
Cheers, guys.

# 2 05-12-2013 , 10:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
nooooooooo.

Dont extract the faces off the model. You are making it worse for yourself...

Just select the faces and map them, dont extract them. Or simply do a planar projection from a single axis and select the edges that you want to separate in the uv editor. then do cut uvs. then you can start using unfold, reverse uvs and so to get them to look right, then after that you can select each uv shell and decide which ones you want to sew back together.

We have just released a UV tute on here...Its worth getting to save your pain..

Jay

# 3 06-12-2013 , 10:31 AM
Oh god! That means I shall start all over again... End of the world for me as I've spent around 8 hours on it.
I was kind of going through the same route as you've explained -ish eventually but clearly detonated the whole thing by extracting the faces in the first place. Now I realise once the pieces are cut off in the perspective one cannot sew them back on in the uv editor.
Is 'Mastering UV Layout' the tute you're referring? I might as well learn it proper from a Jedi like yourself.
Great work on the Ender's game, by the way.

Many thanks for your time and wisdom.

# 4 06-12-2013 , 11:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
dude its not the end of the world.

Simply combine the extracted faces again and then merge the verts...job done, your mesh will be one again. then you can concentrate on the uv stuff.

Many thanks for the kind words...

Jay