Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-02-2014 , 01:04 PM

Edge selection issues

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to modeling in 3D and I've run into a bit of a snag. I've added subdevissions to a polygon cube. I want to select the edges and manipulate them. Where as In the past I've been able to select an edge or a series of edges and move them independantly of eachother, now when I select an edge or vertex the selcetion is yellow and a gradient to red indicating influence radiates out from the selection. Moving or manipulating the selection infuliences the suround geomitry. How can stop this from happening? How can I minipulate just the selection as I once was able to do?

Am I using the wrong tool? Is this a setting I have triggered?
I know it's probaly something small and stupid.

Attached Images
# 2 08-02-2014 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
double click the translate tool in the toolbox and uncheck "soft select".

Sampson
# 3 08-02-2014 , 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
This question comes up extremely often. Might want to check out Stwert's FAQ thread and mine while you're at it.

- Genny