Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-03-2014 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber

Powerloader 2014 Redo - Vray

Many may remember my powerloader from a few years ago now.

user added image

I have always wanted to go back and texture it, and render it as I loved the model. As the Doom Challenge as good as done, next project will be returning to my Zoid. Hoping this will be just a short project (as I just want a short break from the modelling side of things) I thought I would take a look at this.

How ever - my dear lord - opening up the project I found all sorts wrong with the model - flipped normals, ngons all over the place and parts in the wrong places. So I have spent the day sorting it out - fixing the polys and setting it up ready to UV map and texture.

user added image

Just some basic shaders and dome light, but good starting point.

Some small notes - This was based of a model/toy I had of the powerloader. Seat belts and Cables are still missing. Want it to look a lot more beat up and used.

Attached Images

Last edited by tweetytunes; 07-03-2014 at 12:20 AM.
# 2 07-03-2014 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Is this the one from Aliens?

Sampson
# 3 07-03-2014 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
Yes it is, all be it a very clean one right now

# 4 09-03-2014 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
UV mapped the foot

user added image

# 5 10-03-2014 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
OK - foot almost done, happy with first stab at the texture.
Need to fix the lower piston screw and the dirt on the lower part of the upper piston.

user added image

# 6 11-03-2014 , 11:55 PM
The Nurb Herd
things I think you should add -
displacement
spec map
colour variation
more dirt.

Are reflections on? the pistons look like they are supposed to be chrome, but are not reflecting anything.

# 7 12-03-2014 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber

Are reflections on? the pistons look like they are supposed to be chrome, but are not reflecting anything.

Cheers Dom.

Yer the reflections are on - its more a brushed metal than chrome - rendered it again with a sphere with the same martial on it to show them off a little more.

user added image

Displacement and spec are planned but texture painting is a weak point for me so currently learning how to create them from colour maps.

Looking at the ref I have from both the film and some images of real like items like JCB`s I think the dirt is enough. I was a little shocked when looking at ref how clean the pistons stay even when some things are covered in rust and mud. I also think the same can be said about colour, there is very little in the variation.

Here is the 3 main ref images I used for the texturing of the foot part. (again plz note the model is based of the toy not the film version, and I am not going back in to change the model)

user added image

# 8 12-03-2014 , 08:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
cool, I was meaning the parts where dirt would accumulate. A good thing to do when working on textures is to render without shadows. Or just a flat diffuse colour pass and a diffuse. It's much more handy than an occlusion and the diffuse yellow render. Even having a render of the UVs is a waste of time imo.

# 9 14-03-2014 , 01:40 AM
Location: Room 801, Building A, Ying Da Li Tech Digital Park, Fu Tian free trade zone, Shenzhen, China
Awesome details!!!

# 10 15-03-2014 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
Cheers man.

Moved on to the lower part of the leg - 3 textures for this part. Getting the scale for the arrow and the logo was a pain in the arse as they seem to change size thought out the film.

Some tricky parts to UV in that bit.

Again just the defuse map so far.

user added image

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 15-03-2014 at 10:50 PM.
# 11 16-03-2014 , 06:09 PM
The thin red line
To help bring out the worn paint try using inner glow in photoshop..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 16-03-2014 at 07:06 PM.
# 12 16-03-2014 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
Cheers man - thought I was going to have to do that with the displacement.

Went thought and repainted some parts - quick render.

user added image

# 13 18-03-2014 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
OK - thought I had finished the legs today....

user added image

but looks like I am going to have to paint another set of maps for the other side as it currently looks like a bloody mirror going on. Lot more work going on than I thought on this project, oh well its still fun and that's the main thing.

user added image

Again just the defuse map (some colour correction on the last image)

# 14 19-03-2014 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

# 15 19-03-2014 , 11:37 AM
The thin red line
Looking good Tweety you might want to put a little spec on the paint and some dirt on the on some parts of the pistons..............dave