Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-04-2014 , 11:15 AM

Will I be able to texture this model?

Hello there, I've just created my first model simply by playing around with Maya without the aid of tutorials. It was a lengthy process but I'm pretty happy with the result. My issue now is that I want to texture/paint it but from what I've seen when I tried to import it into Mudbox wasn't very promising. I realise my method of creating this model probably isn't the correct way but I've invested a lot of hours into making it and I really don't want them to go wasted.

Here is my model in Maya, a VW camper. Seems fine to me, but then again I am a novice who has invested the past 2 days making it.
user added image

After I try to import it into Mudbox, I'm told there is problems with my Mesh. Which I can see thanks to dotted red lines covering the model. Then I try to paint onto one side of the model and the entire model slowly starts to get covered until its the same whole colour. I have absolute no experience with mudbox, I could just be doing it wrong but I thought I would ask a modelling community in case I'm just digging a bigger hole for myself.

user added image

# 2 09-04-2014 , 03:17 PM
You don't need to texture this in Mudbox. You can do all of it in Maya. Using materials and UVing certain parts you will be good to go. If you aren't doing anything on a panel then just automap it. If it is for a portfolio then well the modeling needs to be worked on. But UV it all for practice.

# 3 09-04-2014 , 04:00 PM

You don't need to texture this in Mudbox. You can do all of it in Maya. Using materials and UVing certain parts you will be good to go. If you aren't doing anything on a panel then just automap it. If it is for a portfolio then well the modeling needs to be worked on. But UV it all for practice.

Its for a first year assignment of University. Its the first chance we've been given in class to create our own model, so I'm aware the model isn't the best but I'm happy with it.

I'll give the UVing a go, rather than using Mudbox.

# 4 10-04-2014 , 05:34 AM
Technical Director
You need to UV the model before you can start painting it in Mudbox anyways.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 06-08-2014 , 02:16 PM
i think the automatic mapping will be good to unwrap this model... or planar in y and cut all the edges (front left+right, back left+right)... there should be a way to ignore those red lines mudbox gives you, and i belive you should be able to work on it.

Then I try to paint onto one side of the model and the entire model slowly starts to get covered until its the same whole colour.

If i understand you right, this is because the UVs are laying on top of eachother

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^