Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-04-2014 , 08:29 PM

Hard edges trouble with mental ray

Hi
I´m almost new in maya, so it is likely that this problem is pretty simple to solve.

I need to make some objects with low poly look, to do this, I model simple meshes and give harden(normals) edges. I have also done without touching normals, disabling smooth shading(render stats).

But when I render this objects with mental ray to get nicer look, some edges get dirty (like you can see in the image).

How can I get this hard edges without that dirt?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-04-2014 , 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
It's the final gather settings. Run a FG diagnosis to see whats going on on those corners. I find myself staying away from the "Point Interpolation" slider and setting the final gather mode to "radius quality control" and setting max to 10% of the scene size and min to 10% of the max. This has always been reliable for me and the problems you're having should go away.

- Genny
# 3 30-04-2014 , 04:57 AM
Seems that.
Thank you so much!
It was driving me crazy!