Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-05-2014 , 07:24 AM

Extrude problem

Hi there

I have the following problem with the extrude tool. I have this shamrock shape. I want to extrude it inwards but instead of creating some bevel maya produces separate faces. I have attached a file.

I would be thankful for any piece of advice!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-05-2014 , 10:46 AM
looks like you are using "extract faces", and not the "extrude". when you are extruding, try to adjust the "thickness" value, and not just drag the arrows.

# 3 09-05-2014 , 02:16 PM
Thanks for the answer mickhah

but with certainty I use the extrude tool. I tried to adjust this with thickness but I get a total mess . Every face seems to takes its own direction so I tried to move the extruded faces with the scale tool and that is what I get.

I made this geometry with the create polygon tool and it is based on an image plane.
I deleted the history, closed-opened maya, looked for repeated vertices, checked keep faces together and so on.

# 4 09-05-2014 , 03:27 PM
check the orientation of normals under display->polygons->face normals.

# 5 09-05-2014 , 07:36 PM
You might want to consider using curves for this. First create shamrock shape with a 1-degree curve. Then use curve>offset to offset inward or outward. Then create surface from the two curves by lofting between them. Then extrude for thickness.

Cheers

EDIT: I am assuming you wanted a clover with an open center. The approach would differ for a solid clover. Such as using a planar to cap the sides.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 09-05-2014 at 08:50 PM.