Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-06-2014 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber

Jessica Nigri`s Freddy project

This is going to be a fun project heheheheheehe.

Started a new course. In it I am going to learn how to Texture, Rig and set up Hair and cloth. Had to pic a character to make which would have some hair and clothing. And for a change I thought I am going to make something I am going to enjoy looking at for hours on end heheheheehe.

Jessica Nigri is a famous cos-player and some of her work is just spot on - check out her pokemon stuff. She also has some of the most animated facial expressions I have ever seen. But I love her resent Freedy stuff so going to do that for this project.

Not going for a perfect photo match, just the elements of the character.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Plowed thought the head set up and the Hat. Also got the poly plains in for the hair - not there yet on the course but after the last two projects I did with hair I know this stage takes ages and wanted to get it out the way.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-06-2014 at 03:03 PM.
# 2 11-06-2014 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
OK progress today was good, but hit a small snag with the bra which I just cant seem to solve myself.

user added image

First things first - Her boobs were just silly big so I have scaled them down.

I made the Bra from the body geo and all was good until I get to the upper part of the cups.
The geo just flows into tri`s and if I correct it like it is in the image it becomes lumpy no matter how I tweak it.

Any ideas ???

# 3 11-06-2014 , 09:30 PM
The thin red line
I think this will work but a lot of creating edges and deleting some...............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 11-06-2014 , 09:55 PM
very nice model, both ways. keep it up

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 5 11-06-2014 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
@ Daverave - Thx you, sorted it right out - Think I had spent to long on it today for my brain to sort it out.

@ Skalman - Cheers man

Still lots of tweaks need to it but at least the geo flows much better.But I think thats it for tonight - give me brain a rest.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-06-2014 at 10:10 PM.
# 6 13-06-2014 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber
Got mid section, arms, hands and shorts all done.
Blocked out her legs as-well but they are no where near finished.

user added image

user added image

# 7 13-06-2014 , 03:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Good going tweetytunes. You make organic modelling look so easy.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 8 13-06-2014 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
Easy - Oh I wish. I do have a very low poly base mesh I always use - its about 300 polys - and just start blocking out with the shapes of that. Well apart from the head, I always start a fresh with that. I use the same method on my girl from Doom3. But its been about 10 years of learning edge loops to get to this point and even now I still get stuck (see above bra images). This time round I am very happy with the face, but mostly the eyes. My models tend to lose something in the eyes - not this time.

And this model is a lot more dense than I normally do, but its how he sorts of wants it for the course.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-06-2014 at 03:58 PM.
# 9 13-06-2014 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
Well today's lesson was cool.

But first made some boots :-) coming close to finishing the basic shape of the character. Need to add details like modelled eyes, jumper (my cloth object for the project) details on the paints and the glove.

user added image

Spent the session learning about SSS. I was shocked he started on this before UV`s and textureing but alot of what he said made sense. Using just the head played with the settings and got some good resaults -the last few were just playing with the light setup.

user added image

# 10 13-06-2014 , 09:31 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Tweety but I think the boots look a bit off (the shape), I find shoes and boots some of the hardest things to model, it helps if you have a lot of ref at different angles...............dave

# 11 14-06-2014 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
Just a quick test I did over night - added the eyes as well. I think I am happy with the shader. Tested it in a number of different light set ups and HDRI`s and looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YEJ-...ature=youtu.be

@daverave Cheers man.

What part do you think is off shape ? Included better image with the little ref I have on the boots that I have. I have notice a few things wrong 1) Needs straightening up 2) In the ref the corner goes straight down, but I prefer it looking like this so not changing this bit 3) The front lip is stretching a little when smoothing the mesh - easy fix I think. I also not added the metal pins yet on the straps.

user added image

For some strange reason her right boot straps is missing in the photo-shot where I can see the boot clearly. The other set I have it has it on both, so going for both.

# 12 14-06-2014 , 05:23 PM
The thin red line
The heel need to be more inline with the foot, your reference show this...................dave

Sorry Tweety I should have spent a little more time looking at the ref the second ref I think is a better paint over for the shape of the boot

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 14-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.
# 13 14-06-2014 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Cheers man - yer that heel was way too small - sorted that out now. Made the changes I said I was going to do and added the studs. I also added the fold just above the straps as its quite a prominent feature.

user added image

# 14 14-06-2014 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
Here is a test render to show the shader working on the rest of the body - lower settings than the head renders for time sack.

user added image

Just finishing of the boot then going back on to the short add more detail. Aim is to have the body ready to start UV`ing by wed but I think I am way ahead.

Anyway break time for me tonight

# 15 14-06-2014 , 10:16 PM
19 year Veteran
Looks great tweety! You still going to finish the ZOID and the Robocop 2 "CAINE" models?