Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-04-2014 , 12:46 AM

Portfolio review

Hey guys

Its been a while since I've posted here and I was curious I am currently working on my portfolio (and obviously I have no idea where I can post a request such as this to get some feed back)

So could you guys possible take a look at the https://robrea.carbonmade.com and give me some feedback it would be really appreciated.(there's some models on there I'm still currently working on)

I would love to have your input as it would help me greatly

# 2 02-04-2014 , 08:47 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
you need to add detail my friend...at the moment the creatures look very plain and 'flat'. I dont mean go in and do lots of zbrush or mudbox, but just adding extra lumps and bumps of forms will help alot. If you have zb or mudbox then great, add those tiny details. Games and VFX both use very hi details on models these days so its something to really consider doing to your organic work for sure...

Also try to brighten the renders a little. If its just models you want to show off then do the renders in an ambient occlusion effect and overlay wire frames too. We have a free tute on creating turntables for models, it will give you some ideas on how to make things look a bit better....https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=203&sub_cat=0

good luck
Jay

# 3 02-04-2014 , 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Presentation is everything. Somethings to consider are not placing works in progress in the same gallery with finished pieces. Showing some more wireframes(since the work seems to be modeling centric) and if you're going to texture something, go all the way. People can end up overlooking a good model because of dodgy texturing so don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Which brings to mind another thing. Lighting! Google "clay render", the video Jay posted can get you those results. Simple and well done lighting conditions can go a long way.

One final but important thing is, give your camera angles some love. I saw a few instances of backgrounds and lights abruptly ending and slicing into your composition and you really want to avoid that.

- Genny
# 4 03-04-2014 , 12:00 AM
Thanks very much so far guys.

with the texturing I understand im working hard to get better at making textures as im awful right now at it.
How many finished models do you think would be a good amount for a portfolio as well as I am never quite sure.

Thanks again for your feed back thus far and will get right on to the re rendering.

# 5 31-07-2014 , 07:51 PM
Lifetime Member
The college I'm applying for states a maximum of 10 and advices that you show multiple skills.