Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-06-2014 , 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Gen's Shader Test Scene! :D

Hey guys, some of you may have seen this, its my little shader testing swatch scene user added image. Nothing fancy but it beats a sphere or a torus. I'm uploading the project file, maybe you guys will fiddle around with it! and I hope to see some interesting shaders.

One thing, I did not include the HDRI image I usually use but one from a free pack I found on the internetz that kind of comes close.

The one included is an exr version of the "studio028" image from pack 1.

https://zbyg.deviantart.com/art/HDRi-Pack-1-97402522
https://zbyg.deviantart.com/art/HDRi-Pack-2-103458406
https://zbyg.deviantart.com/art/HDRi-Pack-3-112847728

The current render settings have speed in mind but here's a render with slightly more beefed up settings.

Download Project

Attached Images

- Genny
# 2 24-06-2014 , 03:14 PM
SM Tea Boy
Very nice i always loved the way maxwell did it user added image

I'll pop some of my shaders on and share the results when I get some time user added image cheers

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 24-06-2014 , 05:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Gen. I see you use a strange cm2 factor. I've seen that number before when using the photographic node with physical sun and sky. Any particular reason? Just curious.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 4 24-06-2014 , 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Dave! I'm taking another swing at a jade shader with mia_materal. Seeing if I can scrape some inexpensive SSS out of it. Attaching test render below.

@ Pixal

Yeah, I decided to have the exposure handle it rather than the sky and lights. I wrote about that in my Interior Lighting with Mental Ray Physical Sky blog post.

There has been much talk on luminance conversion and though it was somewhat informative, it was really draining, especially after realizing that Maya lights behave rather arbitrarily (in terms of real world intensity equivalence). Once you start reading up on that stuff you’ll most likely find yourself getting more pissed off about the state of Maya’s rendering department, making you have to go so deep and read all this shit, ugh! Anyway, I've recently decided on a cm2 factor of 3180 and leaving the physical sky rgb unit conversion at 0.00100 instead of a cm2 factor of 1 to an rgb conversion of 0.318, I get the same compensation for the sky and I can tweak other lights without having insane numerical values for intensities and such.

Ref: Lighting with Mental Ray Physical Sky

Attached Images

- Genny
# 5 25-06-2014 , 04:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Gen. I thought it might be related. I gave up a while ago trying to make "real world" sense out of lights in Maya. I've gotten used to have light intensity values in the millions when working in world scale and with quadratic decay.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.