Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-08-2014 , 01:09 AM

Creating Irregular Polygons

Okay...so I am in here the noobie area and I have a question because I cannot figure it out....

How do you create irregular polygon shapes from a box?

I am absolutely stumped...and mystified by this magic... lol

Any help would much appreciated...

# 2 30-08-2014 , 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Maybe some pictures?

- Genny
# 3 30-08-2014 , 02:47 AM
Do not have a real picture

But lets imagine we have box, a polygon, now I want to take that box, and make an irregular shape such as as hexgon with uneven sides....

# 4 30-08-2014 , 02:55 AM
Duh...I was so caught up in using a single shape I forgot about making a cylinder shape with 6 sides then using vertex to move points to where I want them.... <feels like and idiot>

# 5 30-08-2014 , 12:22 PM
Lifetime Member
The easiest way to create things like a hexagon is to create a prism and set the number of sides to 6.

This would be far more accurate then manually moving points.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 30-08-2014 , 05:07 PM
jsprogg,

I would completely agree if it was a prism like shape but the shape I needed to create was a 6-sided hexagon whose edges are not regular shape they shoot off in a couple of different directions. I will post a pick soon....

# 7 30-08-2014 , 05:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Not following what you mean to be honest, a 6 sided prism or a 6 sided cylinder are hexagonal. I am in intrigued now ..lol

You are aware that you can change the amount of sides under Inputs in the channel box ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 30-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.
# 8 30-08-2014 , 07:53 PM
Its not all that interesting....lol...I agree with what you said...With that here is my Irregular shaped prism...
user added image

Make Sense? Like I said I was caught up in only using a box.....that I forgot about cylinders lol

# 9 22-09-2014 , 08:52 PM
I know cinema 4d has an option "set point value" which randomizes the vertexes of an object, if that's what you want, try searching for a MEL script to do that for you

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^