Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-10-2014 , 02:54 PM
Noober than noob

A quick question about texture baking

Hello, can someone explain something about texture baking, please?

If I'd paint hair in an external program (i.e. Corel Photo Paint) as a PNG or JPEG, and then apply the hair texture + transparency and bump mapping and reflection mapping to an object (i.e a plane), if I bake the texture to the object, will I still need the external texture file or could I get rid of the file and the hair would still be the same on the object?
Could I then export the object to someone else (just the maya file) while keeping the baked texture of the hair? (the person would not have the same maya project folder though, they'd only get the file).

# 2 26-10-2014 , 04:25 PM
The thin red line
If you have already created the texture in another app there is little point in baking it as all maya will do is create another file in the project folder, Baking comes into its own when you have create ramps or layer texture nodes or fake lighting for scenes(the list goes on) and want to change them into a single texture file. It is always a good practice to keep textures in the project folder under textures.................dave

# 3 26-10-2014 , 04:47 PM
Noober than noob

If you have already created the texture in another app there is little point in baking it as all maya will do is create another file in the project folder, Baking comes into its own when you have create ramps or layer texture nodes or fake lighting for scenes(the list goes on) and want to change them into a single texture file. It is always a good practice to keep textures in the project folder under textures.................dave

What if I just want to send the .mb file to someone without passing them my project folder? How can I keep the texture bound to the object while only passing the object to someone else who is working on another station?

# 4 26-10-2014 , 05:38 PM
The thin red line
Textures are not kept in in the .mb file but the project folder.............dave

# 5 26-10-2014 , 05:46 PM
Noober than noob

Textures are not kept in in the .mb file but the project folder.............dave

Thank you. So I guess I'll have to archive the projects and keep the textures in texture folders when I pass them to someone.
Will it pick up the textures correctly from the folder if placed on another machine though? (positioning of the texture and all) Or will the other person have to re-map/reload it if for example my project folder is located on a drive called C: but the receiver puts the project folder on a drive called A:?

# 6 26-10-2014 , 05:58 PM
The thin red line

# 7 26-10-2014 , 06:52 PM
Noober than noob
Apparently the UV maps I've set in the file are still kept, but changing drive letter requires just a re-loading of the texture.
My horse would not start with the mane / tail hair texture until I've reloaded it, and as soon as I've loaded the texture, everything else just updated (transparency and specular).
Although I am not sure if this counts as if it were transported to another machine, but my hdds' drive letters are switched around anyway...
To be more exact, I have a dual boot system, and the horse was made while I was on on Win XP, but I am editing the horse on W7 and my drive D: (where the horse project is) became drive C: and my drive C: became drive A:.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 26-10-2014 at 07:04 PM.
# 8 26-10-2014 , 07:09 PM
The thin red line
Yes that's correct all node be them shaders or not are kept in the .mb file but if your spec was controlled with a texture file that would still need to be loaded............dave

# 9 26-10-2014 , 07:21 PM
Noober than noob

Yes that's correct all node be them shaders or not are kept in the .mb file but if your spec was controlled with a texture file that would still need to be loaded............dave

Well just re-loading the texture, transparency and specular seems easy enough if I'd pack the textures where they should be.
It was the UV map I was more worried about, because then they'd have to re-arrange them to show the textures correctly and if I'd send it to someone who doesn't know how to work with that, it would be difficult.