Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-11-2014 , 10:45 AM

Basic Blend shapes problem

I need help again.

I'm trying to get my head around basic blend shaping.

I get the following issue. I make a basic sphere, duplicate it several times, move the copies away from the original shape, make some scale deformations to the copies, select the copies, select the original shape, Create deformers-> Create blend shapes with default settings and... nothing happens.

The blend shapes are there with all the necessary attributes but moving the sliders doesn't change anything.

The only way I found to cope with this issue is before creating blendshapes I select the original sphere and the copies, center them to the scene center, freeze transformations for all and them reposition them.

In this way the blend shapes work fine but why is this necessary??????
My scene is as simple as possible, just a basic sphere and 2-3 copies with very slight deformations.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any piece of advice, links to forum threads, tuts, etc.

# 2 20-11-2014 , 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
I could be wrong but blendshapes take component level changes into account and not general transformations so select the vertexes for the entire object and then scale.

- Genny
# 3 21-11-2014 , 07:09 AM
Gen, thank you very much again,

your solution worked perfectly!!!